Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Convincing

Convincing

Soulmates.

Did he just say that Alice and I were soulmates?

What.

The.

Fuck?

He's crazy. That can't be right.

Then again, he's a vampire that can sense my emotions and change them at will. So maybe it is.

But I mean soulmates? How does that work, exactly?

"I can understand your confusion," Jasper stated. "But I assure you, the two of you are indeed soulmates."

"I don't...how do you know?"

"How old are you?" he asked.

That question threw me off a little. First he says Alice is my soulmate, now he's asking me how old I am. How is that answering my questions?

"What does that have to do with her being my soulmate?" I asked, confused and a little annoyed.

"I realize it's confusing, but I promise I'll explain," he replied. His voice was serious, but soft and curious. I frowned, still puzzled.

"I'm seventeen," I answered.

"And when were you born?"

"September 13, 1987."

He took on a knowing look and smiled kindly at me. "I thought so."

"Wait, what do you mean? Jasper, you're confusing me even more!" I whined. "First you tell me that Alice is my soulmate, yet you don't explain why or how, now you're asking me all of these other questions and none of them are making any sense to me."

"Sorry about that," he responded, giving me an apologetic look and sending a wave of sorrow my way, making me realize how sincere he was. "Allow me to explain."

"Please do. All this talk about soulmates has me more lost than ever," I grumbled.

"Again, I apologize. I needed to know those facts to further my explanation, you see," he explained. I guess that made sense. I huffed quietly and patiently waited for him to start. He smiled, probably at my thin level of patience, before his face grew serious.

"Alright, I'll begin, then. First of all, you say that Alice told you that she'd only been having visions about you for a year?"

"Yes," I replied.

"I see. Well that, Bella, was a lie. Or rather, she merely covered up the truth. Again, try not to be upset with her, she was doing it because she was fearful of your reaction should she tell you the truth. She knew you would be confused and wanted to wait until you eased into this life before informing of you. However, I see no reason to hide the truth from you. Knowing it will help you, I think. You'll still be confused, but I'll do what I can to help clarify."

"That's very nice of you, Jasper," I said. He beamed at that.

"Thank you, Bella. I do happen to pride myself on being a gentleman," he responded cheerily.

"So how long has Alice...?" I trailed off since he knew what I was going to ask. His face became serious again, but the smile remained.

"Since before you were born. I'd say about thirty years before," he replied.

Hold on.

What? Did he just say?

Really? Fucking really?