Chapter 23

Chapter 23: Heart

Heart

I stared at my hand with wide eyes. I was bleeding.

Fuck my life.

Of course I have a good moment and then I trip and start bleeding. Shit.

Why can't things ever go good for me for at least one fucking day?

Damn it!

I glanced at Alice warily. Part of me was screaming danger; the other part didn't want to move, because moving would only kick in her vampiric instincts.

Her eyes were darkening as they stared down at my bleeding hand. I watched as her now coal black eyes zoned in on the blood, gazing it at hungrily.

Instinctively I tried to pull my hand back. No sooner had mind budged an inch did Alice's hand shoot out and grab my wrist. It wasn't a forceful grab, but it was strong enough to prevent my arm from moving anymore.

I felt...threatened by the action. I narrowed my eyes at her, a low, rumbling noise coming from my chest. Before I knew it, I had curled my lip back and hissed at her.

Alice's black eyes shot up to mine and narrowed before mimicking my actions.

I blinked, wide eyed with surprise, confusion and fear. I had just hissed at her.

"Alice..." I choked out, hoping to get through to her.

Her eyes remained black and emotionless as they ignored me and resumed staring down at my bloody palm. She pulled it closer to her with her left hand, her right hand on my shoulder, preventing me from trying to move.

I was becoming more and more afraid.

Was this it? Would she lose control?

She pulled my hand up to her nose and took in a long, deep breath. Her face contorted into an expression of pure ecstasy as she let out a quiet moan that turned into a long purr. She repeated this several times, bringing her nose close to the blood, but never quite touching it.

Then she did something that surprised me.

Alice blinked several times, a look of sheer pain forming, and released my hand.

I quickly pulled it to myself and tore a small piece of cloth from my shirt, wiping some of it off my palm.

Alice shifted uncomfortably where she was seated, closing her eyes and clamping her jaw shut tightly. I could see the turmoil in her face as she desperately fought against her inner monster, clenching her hands into tight fists and stilling her breathing altogether.

I couldn't help but wonder where the hell the others were at a time like this. That was when I realized how far Alice had taken me. Here I had thought we were still near the house. In reality, I could barely see their house through the thick trees surrounding me.

A stray gust of wind blew over us.

Suddenly, my nose was hit with the scent of my own blood.

The scent was the same as it had been earlier when I was in the room with Mr. Jenks. Only this time, it was stronger. And more....appealing to me.

I couldn't describe the way it smelled. It was like a fragrance. A mouthwatering fragrance, warm and sweet, with a hint of the rusty, salty smell that blood was supposed to have. It was so strange, so surreal, I wasn't even sure if it my nose was functioning correctly.

I brought my palm up to my face and sniffed. It was.

My heart pounded in my chest as everything started spinning. I blinked as my mouth became dry, an aching feeling welling up in both my throat and my chest.