Proud

Hermione stood before the Wizengamot, her head held high. She saw Draco smiling encouragingly at her from the audience. Harry, Ron, Ginny, Andromeda and all of their family sat a few rows away, watching intently.

'Thank you for listening,' Hermione smiled at the witches and wizards in plum-coloured robes. 'I would now like to present Mr Teddy Lupin, who wishes to speak in favour of this Anti-Discrimination Act.'

Teddy stepped forward, his face pale and his hair a somber brown. He was crumpling a piece of paper in his hands, breathing shallowly.

'H..hello...' He murmured. A few witches and wizards smiled warmly at him. 'My name is Teddy Lupin, I am the son of Remus and Nymphadora Lupin.'

Teddy paused, glancing at Hermione.

'You don't have to do this,' she whispered. 'It's ok, you can change your mind.'

Teddy shook his head.

'My father was a good man,' Teddy told them, his voice stronger. 'He was a prefect at Hogwarts, a member of the Order of the Phoenix during both Wizarding Wars, and I am told he was the best Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher Hogwarts ever had. I hope the current professor doesn't hold that against me when I start next year...'

A few chuckles rippled through the witches and wizards. Teddy visibly relaxed.

'My father was afflicted by lycanthropy, but first and foremost he was a kind man, a loving father and husband, and a brave defender of us all.'

Teddy looked up at his grandmother, who had silent tears trickling down her cheeks. Harry squeezed her hand as Ginny hugged her.

'When my father was four years old, his dad insulted Fenrir Greyback. In revenge, Fenrir broke into the house and attacker my father as he slept. I have family who are that age. They're sweet and innocent - they're still scared of the dark and of monsters under the bed. In that night, my father not only got attacked by that monster, but in the eyes of the world...he became it.'

A few witches and wizards whispered to each other in hushed tones.

'When he was eleven years old, my father and his parents were hidden away from the world. They thought he could never go to Hogwarts. I know how excited I am to start in September, I can't imagine thinking I couldn't go. Albus Dumbledore himself made arrangements for my father to attend, and for the first time in his life...he had friends. Can you imagine that? Being eleven years old and never having had friends? Never being allowed to play with the neighbours in case they found out you were a 'monster'? Having to move house whenever people became suspicious? He was a child! He was my age! And the world shunned him!'

Teddy was flushed with anger, his dark eyes flashing.

'I don't remember my father. He died in the Battle of Hogwarts, alongside my mother, when I was a few weeks old. He died defending a world that he loved and believed in. A world that rejected him and threw him aside! He died doing what was right because he was ultimately a good man, who also happened to be a werewolf. I am proud to be his son. I stand here before you saying my father was a werewolf and I am proud.'

Teddy was breathing heavily as his family cheered and clapped.

'I might not remember my father, but many people do. They gave me their memories of my parents, so I could know them. If I may, I would like to show you some of those memories.'

The Chief Warlock inclined his head, granting permission.

'Thank you,' Teddy moved to a projection device, linked to a pensieve. He pressed a button and the swirling mist solidified into an image, which was projected onto the wall behind him.

You see!" said Tonks, glaring at Lupin. "She still wants to marry him, even though he's been bitten! She doesn't care!"
"It's different," he said, barely moving his lips and looking suddenly tense. "Bill will not be a full werewolf. The cases are completely-"
"But I don't care either, I don't care!" said Tonks, seizing the front of Lupin's robes and shaking them. "I've told you a million times...."
"And I've told you a million times," said Lupin, refusing to meet her eyes, staring at the floor, "that I am too old for you, too poor....too dangerous...."
"I've said all along you're taking a ridiculous line on this, Remus," said Mrs. Weasley over Fleur's shoulder as she patted her on the back.
"I am not being ridiculous," said Lupin steadily. "Tonks deserves somebody young and whole."
"But she wants you," said Mr. Weasley, with a small smile. "And after all, Remus, young and whole men do not necessarily remain so."
He gestured sadly at his son, lying between them.
"This is....not the moment to discuss it," said Lupin, avoiding everybody's eyes as he looked around distractedly. "Dumbledore is dead...."
"Dumbledore would have been happier than anybody to think that there was a little more love in the world," said Professor McGonagall curtly...

The image swirled into cloud once more, before coming into focus on a different scene.

"The very first time I saw you Harry, I recognized you immediately. Not by your scar, by your eyes. They're your mother; Lily's. Yes, I knew her. Your mother was there for me at a time when no one else was. Not only was she a singularly gifted witch, she was also an uncommonly kind woman. She had a way of seeing the beauty in others, even, and perhaps most especially, when that person couldn't see it in themselves. Your father, James, however, had a certain, shall we say, talent for trouble. A talent, rumor has it, he passed onto you. You're more like them then you know, Harry. In time you'll come to see just how much."

Hermione wiped her eyes, knowing how much that moment would have meant to Harry.

"Possibly no one's warned you, Lupin," Professor Snape said, nastily, "but this class contains Neville Longbottom. I would advise you not to entrust him with anything difficult. Not unless Miss Granger is hissing instructions in his ear."
Professor Lupin raised his eyebrows.
"I was hoping that Neville would assist me with the first stage of the operation," he said, "and I am sure he will perform admirably."

"Right, Neville," said Professor Lupin. "first things first: what would you say is the thing that frightens you most in the world?"
"Professor Snape."
"Professor Snape... hmmm... Neville, I believe you live with your grandmother?"
"Er – yes," said Neville nervously. "But – I don't want the Boggart to turn into her, either."
"No, no, you misunderstand me," said Professor Lupin, now smiling. "I wonder, could you tell us what sort of clothes your grandmother usually wears?"
Neville looked startled, but said, "Well... always the same hat. A tall one with a stuffed vulture on top. And a long dress... green, normally... and sometimes a fox-fur scarf."
"And a handbag?" prompted Professor Lupin.
"A big red one,'" said Neville.

The boggart stepped out of the wardrobe as Professor Snape, before being transformed into him wearing Neville's grandmother's clothes. The whole room roared with laughter. Hermione saw Neville grinning ruefully as his grandmother shook with mirth.

Another memory showed Remus on his wedding day, beaming at his beautiful wife.

The final memory was him holding his infant son as he clutched his wife's hand.

Several witches and wizards sniffled, wiping their eyes. Hermione was openly crying. Teddy stood proudly, his eyes glistening.

'Thank you for your time, ladies and gentlemen. I appreciate you listening to what I have had to say. I hope that you find the courage to do the right thing, like my father.'

Teddy bowed to them all and walked to Hermione. She pulled him into a giant hug.

'I'm so proud of you, your parents would have been too.' She whispered as she squeezed him tight.

'Thank you both for your presentations,' the Chief Warlock nodded at Hermione and Teddy. 'The Wizengamot will now convene to discuss this. Everyone else is dismissed.'