Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Rain is magic. You just have to feel something so cold but so warm at the same time. It is somewhat a good comfort of sorrow itself. But when it had rained yesterday when William took him to his apartment, he just caught wet. Hopefully, not that soaked that he could not perform today because of colds.

              Mind of I ask you? William had asked.

              You already did was his witty reply.

              Aren’t you gay?

              No. I’m not.

              Then what are you?

              A robot.

              Asexual?

              Not capable of anything but static sounds.

              Why did I even ask?

              Why would you even care?

              Ethan had let go of his hand and waved goodbye and closed the doors of the apartment.

              Bye, William texted him with an improvised heart sign using a “less than three” symbol. Ethan viewed the text message again. Regularly, William would send him a “good morning” but this morning, he did not. Suspiciously, he assumed it was because of the play.

Ethan shook himself awake and went out of his bedroom, dressed formally for the play.

              “I’ll be cheering later!” Enid excitedly screamed from her bedroom, hearing Ethan closed his room’s door. Ethan could hear wry sighs which he guessed concerning Enid’s corset. He knocked and offered, “Help?”

              “No!” Enid quickly exclaimed. “N-No I’m fine! I-I just need to tighten this up and… uh…. Argh! Woah!” she squealed and chuckled behind the door. “I’m really fine,” she motioned. Ethan giggled and waited on the sofa.

              On his side was the full-length mirror he always admired. His reflection seemed stale with sprinkled excitement and a cup of fear. Ethan stared at the mirror. The focal image glowed a shaded aura as he inhaled deeply. A perfect fudgy brownie with white chocolate frosting, dark chocolate sprinkles and a smother of blueberry syrup. Ethan wanted to change it but he just found himself more cloaked in fear.

              Enid burst out from the room with her hands in an extravagant pose. “I’m done!” she announced and went out of her room wearing a purple Bustle skirt with embroideries of vines in a fiery design from the edges. Enid twirled around and it swayed impeccably. Her sleeves came with laces. More like chiffon cloth. Enid blushed as she finished a 360 degree turn. “What do you think?”

              Ethan did not respond but he stuttered. “Your glasses?”

              “I can still see without them.”

              Ethan sighed and fished the lenses from her room and put it on her with shaky hands. “There there… Perfect!”

The moment he opened the doors of Gershwin, excited murmurs spread through the theatre. William was at the gate wearing a classic outfit: white long sleeves under black tuxedo and black bowtie.

              “Hello,” he hoarsely greeted and smiled. “We should get ready!” he inhaled as Ethan observed his hands cringingly swaying back and forth. “To infinity and the backstage!” he cloyed and began running but Ethan held him back and rubbed his palm. “You’ll do good, William,” he ardently said and kissed his knuckles. “You too,” William went backwards and smacked a kiss on his forehead. “Let us go!” he exclaimed and dragged him through the velvet chairs.