Chapter 12

Chapter 12

It was twilight when Ethan got back to consciousness. After passing out making the Technical Hardbound late at night, he just knew that he only slept for a couple of hours and was awoken by the banging of his broken alarm clock. Ethan yawned and pulled his glasses that lay on his bed.

           His phone beeped with a message from William which gladly read, Wake up! I’ll be waiting for you at school by five thirty.

           Ethan drowsily checked his clock.

           4:00

           He trotted up from bed and opened his table lamp. He quickly pulled his bath towel and hanged it somewhere. While he boiled water, he arranged his outfit: navy blue long sleeve designed with sewn fractals Enid gave him as a present, a plain gray vest, an orange lace he’d tie as a bow. He also arranged his special moccasins and skinny orange khaki pants. He grinned seeing the attire.

           The kettle whistled and he rushed to turn it off. He blended himself coffee. He needed to be very silent since he did not wish to disturb or wake Sebastian up. Doing so could startle him and commence him with pain again. Ethan tip toed.

           He still had an hour so he took the time to enjoy coffee. He stuck his head out the window and felt the twilight breeze caress his face. He inhaled. His heart pounded. His coffee was done. In a few hours, he better set his face vigorously. No intimidation. No humiliation.

He finally tucked his bowtie and smiled to the mirror. The ever cuddly teddy bear, he critiqued himself. He looked at his phone and saw another message from William. He quickly peeked out the window and searched for the guy.

           William wasn’t joking on the text. He really was waiting before the apartment’s commonly designed door with four beveled squares. The five thirty meet-up was changed to a five fifteen arrival by the apartment. He sighed. William was persistent to take care of him. He grinned as William tilted his head up to his window and waved. He waved back.

Ethan arrived on the lobby with his bowtie slightly undone. The sky blue paneled walls and polka-dot couches greeted him an odd “Good Morning” as he responded with a fixed smile. His muscles tensed as he neared the door. He inhaled deeply and opened it.

           “Good Morn—” William paused. “Wowwie…” His eyes widened causing Ethan to blush too red. “You’re…. pretty, my raspberry,” he said and pulled Ethan’s bow to detangle. He wrapped his arms around Ethan and tied the lace nattily. He breathed in and said, “You. Are. Fabulous, Ethan. Fabulous.”

           Ethan chuckled and asked, “What are you doing here?”

           “Fetching you. I know you are monophobic so I don’t want my little raspberry to rot in fear while I prepare the musical.”

           Ethan felt himself entirely flush. He ran out of words and maniacally, it rained.

           “A-A-Apparently, I’m Enochlophobic, William,” he protested.

William smirked and ushered to his side to share the little space.

“Oh great,” Ethan sarcastically praised. “Come here or you’ll get wet,” he invited William to his embrace. William gave him an apologetic smile.

           “My plan did not work after all,” he joked.

           “Magical it is,” Ethan murmured and hummed to which William gleefully joined him.