Chapter 2: The Perfect Example Of A Stupid Kid

Chapter 2

Ethan dreaded this moment. Skylar cleared his throat and he was sure the words that would exit his mouth would never be a good one. He swallowed hard and prayed for “salvation”. The lights flickered suddenly and shut off. Some girls shrieked as it went out and Skylar just seemed to be more annoyed by the chorus of overreacting screams. He fumed.

           “This. Is. A. Club? Anyone’s fucking serious?” Skylar insulted, furious of the horridly flickering lights. “You even have—”

           “The maintenance will work on it, Skylar, and yes, The Yorkish Pen passes the standards of NYAAS for a club to be formed, namely; a beaming and responsible president,” pointing to the confused redhead, “a room, (even he himself cannot believe it has a pair of irritating lights) an objective, a goal and an output.” He pointed to this week’s issue of the paper.

           Skylar’s eyebrows creased. He scrutinized, “Anything in particular how many members needed?”

           The redhead quickly counted everyone in the class and proudly countered Skylar. She denied that The Yorkish Pen was not suitable to be called a club in a prestigious school such NYAAS. She tried being nice as her sweet voice patiently squealed calling Skylar as “Sky.”

           “Don’t call me that.” Skylar recoiled but his eyes were still riveted to the flickering lights.

           The redhead stared at him with a beguiled smile. Her eyes trying not to grimace. Her lips trying not to frown as well. She rapidly blinked and collected herself.

           Although verging to fire again, Skylar tried controlling himself by showing a forced wide smile. Ethan rolled his eyes. This guy’s a true jerk, he grumbled and roamed the whole room with his eyes. This is heaven! The flickering lights reminded him of its presence. He grumbled.

           “Just how many libraries this school has because I see bookshelves almost everywhere?” he asked as he pulled out a dusty book from one of the nearby shelves. He turned to her again and she started speaking after diminishing her excited smile. He grinned back.

           “We have a large number of bookshelves scattered in any part of the school,” she happily stated. “NYAAS constitution said last year that we should value the modern tradition.” She chuckled. “Modern tradition…” she continued to chuckle. “Modern tradition…” it was nonstop. “Mod…” she laughed. “Forgive me, Ethan. Forgive my use of antagonizing words and all. It became a habit to me.”

           Ethan agreed with a comprehending nod and wiped his glasses. “Are they all journalists?” he added and the redhead enthusiastically nodded. The editor-in-chief pondered of her hindered introduction so she held her hand out and introduced herself as Grace. Ethan nodded and overlooked the students again. He tried getting to the source of everyone’s ability to be socially firm. He learned this once: be straight and just say what you think. Yet trying to stop him from saying odd or offensive things, Ethan inhaled and grinned but as he spent time sorting thoughts out, a stout college student wearing a Dominican Republic designed flag stood.