Chapter 15

Chapter 15

The volunteers peered through their monitors again after Enid assured them that her sprain broke free. A hoard of uniform black headphones stood from cubicles that went into an organized labyrinth of calls. TrevorOnline roared back again. Enid smiled as she took a seat nearby.

           “My volunteers had taken Sebastian to the clinic. Don’t worry. It won’t affect his reputation here. We all understand.” Niccola spoke with cringing hands. He sat beside Enid and rubbed her back.

           “I should be the one doing that. Not you,” Enid said and motioned to do the same.

           Niccola chuckled and stopped.

           “I want to solve the case,” Enid determinedly declared. Her face tightened with fortified muscles by her lips. Her small face came larger with her eyes steadying to a decided stare at Niccola.

           The librarian froze with unexplainable look in his eyes. His stare wished for explanation but Enid said what she needed to. Her statement bloomed with sturdy words. Her face supported it. She was motionless for seconds and remained still until Niccola erupted in laughter.

           “Sir! Believe me. I promise to give justice,” Enid vowed and scooted nearer Niccola.

           He brushed Enid’s dense hair that all fell back in place. He tucked the strands that flung off of her narrow shoulders behind her ears. He pulled out a purple satin lace from his breast pocket and tied Enid’s hair in braids.

           “I used to do this to our sister’s hair, Enid,” he said with a smile. “She likes her hair to be braided with a purple lace.” He finished the last loop and tied the end in a bouncy bow. “Like it?”

           “Please,” Enid begged. “I want to do this.”

           Niccola chuckled. “You still have class after an hour. Please arrange yourself. There is a canteen by the next hall. Help yourself,” he welcomed and walked away.

           Enid’s feet convinced her to run after him but her feet were both immobilized. The sprain tingled pain that made her wince every now and then on her seat. She grasped for air and ducked to massage the area.

           Lowering her head, she expected her hair to caress her shoulders but only a few wild strands gracefully danced with the silent wind. She tucked them behind her ear and grabbed her hair. She recalled, Niccola did a great job. She laid it on her shoulder and the bowtie lauded her smile with the wind from the nearby air conditioner. She giggled and stood.

           “You want some tea?” a volunteer asked as she opened her drawer full of tea bags.

           Enid laughed. “I’ll be fine. Thank you,” she said and grinned. “But can you help me?”

           The volunteer sipped her tea and asked, “Anything.”

           “Can you please check out the internet for me?” Enid asked and pulled an unoccupied swiveling chair nearby.

           “The computer’s all yours. Just close the tab and don’t forget to shut it down. I’ll just head down the canteen to get some biscuits for the two of us,” the volunteer said and instantly ran away in her platform heels.

           Enid quickly ordered the cursor to check the database of TrevorProject and entered a code she got from Niccola’s I.D. she fished out from his suit pocket. She smiled and typed the numerical generator.