Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Sebastian laxly scooted on the couch, trying to test if the pain had gone with the night. Enid walked past him and headed for the counters to make food. She saw Sebastian wincing from slight pain and asked, “What time is your volunteer shift again?”

           Sebastian inhaled to resist pain. He exhaled and gave Enid an apologetic smile. He weakly answered, “Nine thirty, Enid. Nine thirty and my abdomen is bitching up.” He groaned until could not hold his breath anymore so he erupted with a scream. He panted and drank the bottle of water beside him.

           Enid sighed. She could not stand Sebastian agonizing over the Diarrhea aftermath so she gave him the ointment. Seeing relief from her roommate, she smiled and continued to make brunch for the both of them. She pulled a pair of eggs and spilled it on the petite frying pan. Cliché it was but Enid got hopeless for another twist. Each exhibition became a banal practice. Donut sandwich, green tea with caramel syrup, fried rice with celery and many other insane Inventions. Enid sighed and said, “Sunny-side-up!”

           “Raaaaaare,” Sebastian remarked. “What’s with the cuisine?”

           “I ran out of ideas.”

           “So old ones flooded?”

           “I guess so.”

           Enid fished a plate and owned her sunny-side-up. She played with the egg white by poking it with her fork. Her thoughts were riveted to Greek God Librarian. Ethan, she thought. She had not asked him yet about the Trevor commemoration. Maybe the meet-up would be about it. Maybe Greek God Librarian would need someone to vent on. She looked at the clock and not long enough, she needed to head down Central Park.

           “Not liking your experiment?” Sebastian asked as he finished up his last bite. “I like it cause.”

           Enid giggled. “Have you ever thought,” she started as she stared at the blank sky, “That when you die and no one comes to your funeral?”

           Sebastian swallowed his meal. He laughed and replied, “I’ll be the one who’ll first to go down the soil under the Bermuda grass so I think I might answer your question when the day comes.”

           Enid instantly slapped him. “Eat this.”

           Sebastian grunted. “Sorry.”

           “I’m not mad. The thought just dashed by my ideas. I am the one who should be apologetic,” Enid explained and grabbed her skirt.

           “Pink again?”

           Enid smiled, “Ordinariness is akin with oddity especially if its wearer engages with introversion.”

           “That deep?”

           “Abyssal,” Enid replied and closed the door of the bathroom.

Inside, the cold water from the shower drained her senses away. She closed her eyes and just let the water run by her eyelids. Numb she was, her nose inhaled hair as droplets of water clung on her nostrils. She lifted her hand and collected her hair, feeling the strands crawl on her palms. Enid listened to the drastic roar of water as it penetrated her lips, forcing her to taste blandness.

           None of this mattered. She’d die lonely and sad. Enid looked at her before a mirror and tried putting Damon Keat on her reflection but her mind forcibly deflected it. She was not Damon. She was not someone anyone would care even if she lived. She felt overly reacting to things and thought if there’s something wrong. No. Everything’s fine, she mumbled as the water bombarded her. Why’s this happening? She cried as her tears blended with the cold tap water.