Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The aberrant Saturday air blew inside the apartment. Sebastian insisted that he was feeling well despite the fervor that wrecked him into bed. Ethan sighed and shuddered the cold air off. He grabbed his lime green scarf and untidily wrapped it around him. He glanced to his full length mirror and invited Enid to school. Upon leaving, Sebastian brewed himself an espresso which assured them of his condition.

           “Sure he’s fine?” Ethan asked Enid who read as they walked on the apartment hall. “He had 40 degree Celsius fever for a day now.”

           Enid shrugged. She closed her book before approaching the stairs. “H-He said he took Paracetamol already. I offered him a massage but he declined. By the way, today’s Saturday. There’s Theatrics, right?”

           Ethan shook his head. “We had Theatrics cancelled yesterday. I don’t know if we’d have it today.”

           Enid sighed. “You’re not going home with me then, again?” she scrutinized, eyes intriguing with every step.

           “Oh look,” Ethan averted the question. “They changed the wallpaper! How nice… paneled… sky blue design.”

           Enid enthused seeing the new portrait of their sky blue apartment. Maybe it came to the management that the monochromatic aura which lasted almost a year, blinded anyone who’d stare long enough at the wall. They arrived at the lobby and all they saw was nauseating sense of abrupt chrome shift. Blue… then orange polka dots on a lime green sofa. Ethan removed his eyes, trying his best to not vomit on the minute foyer.

           “Want to grab doughnuts?”

           “Brownies will do,” Ethan tried his best to smile. His phone rang with the wind chime on the door of the convenience store.

          “Let me guess,” Enid started while pulling a yellow frosted doughnut off the rack. Fresh from the oven it was, giving a pleasant smell. “It’s William.”

          “Still early,” Ethan countered. “We won’t be late if I take time eating that Choco Mousse Doughnut over there. Grab me one.” Ethan averted the topic and clapped. “Order me a coffee too.”

           Enid grumbled but obeyed. Ethan quickly occupied the seat on the farthest corner of the store where the air conditioning towered like a domineering white obelisk. It came with confetti that stuck themselves to announce that the 25 degree Celsius air conditioning worked 24/7. Admonishingly shocking, he saw William standing by his motorcycle from the glass wall of the convenience store. Ethan nearly threw his books away. What the hell is he doing there?

           William got the instinct to turn around and face the apartment. Fight or Flight? Ethan had not decided before William waved his manly hand over and gleefully walked towards him. He gulped and looked at Enid who giggled as she ordered.

           “Enid!” Ethan shouted. “Order another coffee!”

           Enid nodded, surely knowing why. William already barged inside in his polo shirt tucked into brown shorts. He wore fuchsia topsiders and his camouflage bowtie roared with appeal. Ethan’s jaw dropped as William hugged him immediately before sitting down.

           “How’s my raspberry?” William inquired, leaning on the table.

           Ethan fumed but he felt himself flush over amusement. “I’m not a raspberry!” he protested that stopped Enid on her tracks. She handed the doughnuts to him and the coffee to everyone. Each moment, an intriguing smile would pop from Enid’s gleaming face. Distorted perhaps. He could not tolerate seeing her teasing face that almost looked like daunting and William’s curt smirks every time.