Chapter 33

The next day came as if nothing had happened. As if her whole world hadn't just been broken into unfixable pieces. As if her dream guy hadn't cluelessly proved she meant nothing to him. As if one of her closest family members hadn't confessed to her, then run away, and now probably hated her.

She stayed in her room most of the day, hiding under her covers.

When her growling stomach finally forced her to venture downstairs that evening, she cautiously peered around to see if anyone was there. She wasn't sure what frightened her more – the prospect of explaining what had happened, or finding out that everyone already knew and hated her for it.

Poking her head into the kitchen, she was relieved to see it was empty. She grabbed some rice and bread and quickly scarfed them down. She listened for a moment, then snuck back out towards her room, hoping no one spotted her.

"Ah, Kumiko!"

She froze until she realized that her grandfather's voice was as friendly as always. Turning slowly towards the dining room, she mustered up a small smile and bowed.

"Come and have a drink with me." He held up an extra cup as an invitation.

While she really wanted to run back to her room and hide in shame the rest of her life, she respected and loved her grandfather too much to refuse. She nodded and knelt down across the table as he poured sake in her cup.

He passed the drink to her with a smile, then they both raised their glasses and drank.

"Kumiko, did I ever tell you about Mayu-chan?" She glanced up, saw the same kind look in his eyes, then shook her head. Her grandfather sat back and started to reminisce.

"Ah, well, she was a girl who lived in the same village as me, back when I was much younger, you understand. She had long, dark hair, and a smile sweeter than a spring breeze. She flashed one smile and all the boys fell over themselves for her. Me included. And when the crowd of flirts scattered, I was still there. It was a fine time. We walked and talked and laughed together – I thought life couldn't get better. But then, one day, she tells me that I was a friend, a good friend even, but that was all."

Yankumi thought she heard a noise behind her, but couldn't bear to turn away. Kuroda chuckled ruefully at the memory.

"I was confused. And angry. How could she not see me the way I saw her? I had a whole life planned out and she had gone and smashed it to pieces. Well, I packed up and left that very night. I wandered around a bit, bitter and upset, but after some time and thinking, the hurt finally healed. Not quickly, mind you, but it did heal. Even so, I still thought of her, and after a while, I went back. I thought that since I couldn't forget Mayu-chan, perhaps she couldn't forget about me. I marched in to the village, intent on winning her."

He paused. She waited for a minute, wondering if he was having one of those 'senior moments' she had heard about. But then, a slow, gentle smile stretched across his face, lighting up his eyes in a way she hadn't seen before.

"And then I saw your grandmother."

Yankumi sat back in surprise. Her grandmother had died while she was very young, and she didn't know much about her at all, besides an old photo here and there.

"Ah, thinking about the first moment I saw her still takes my breath away. She was walking into a temple, with the sakura petals whirling all around her… She wasn't anything like Mayu-chan. No, Nanako was different. She didn't have a string of flirts, nor did she want them." He turned and looked at Kumiko. "She was much like you. Strong, determined. Compared to her, any thoughts I had of Mayu-chan paled in comparison. And once I had gotten to know her, I realized something." Here, his eyes looked past Yankumi's shoulder, at the opposite wall, as he thought through his next words.

"What I felt for Mayu-chan was easy. What I felt for Nanako was right."

Now Yankumi had to sit and think about that one.

"Heh. It was only later that I found out she was the daughter of the Oedo clan boss, but I didn't care. Pursuing her was its own kind of hell, since I had to face her father and brothers first, but once I knew that I loved her, and she loved me, and it felt right… well, none of the rest mattered."

Glancing down at her lap, Yankumi imagined her grandfather, young and full of energy, disappointed in his own love, seeing her grandmother for the first time.

Suddenly, Kuroda yawned and stretched. "You'll have to forgive your old grandfather. Like most old folks, I like talking about the past. Now, it's late and you should be off to bed."

Standing up, she started for her room. Pausing, she glanced back. "Grandpa," She said, then stopped and looked down. Finally, she met his gaze and finished, "Thank you."

He smiled lovingly at her. "Good night, Kumiko."

As Kumiko went up the stairs, Kuroda waited for a minute or two, then stretched again and stood up slowly. His back was not as young as it once was. He took his newspaper with him and started walking out of the room.

"Goodnight, Tetsu." He called out as he left.

There was a startled thump from the other side of the wall, and then the door slid open sheepishly.

"G-goodnight, Boss." Tetsu replied, kneeling deeply.

Kuroda smiled to himself in satisfaction.