Chapter 10

He met her in the warehouse district with more bad news. Noda had texted him that the Jinguji guys had beaten up one of their own, they were at warehouse #13, and 3-D was going to get even.

"Those guys..." she muttered, then took off running with Shin by her side.

They arrived just in time. The entire class was advancing on the gang, who were armed with pipes, with a beaten and unconscious Kuma in the middle.

"Stop it you guys!" Yankumi commanded as she and Shin rushed to Kuma's side. She checked to make sure he was breathing, then confronted the rest of the students.

"You guys, what are you going to do here?" She asked softly, but firmly.

Uchi stepped forward. "Hey, don't get in the way."

"These guys are responsible for the serial attacks."

"They got Yagyu and Kuma, too."

Yankumi turned to glare at the assembled gang. "Don't make a move on them!" She shouted.

"You want us to hold back when they got our guys?"

"Don't you get it? If you make a move, you'll be putting yourselves down to their level." She turned back to face them. "If you get even with them, they'll do the same. When will it end? There's no end to it!"

Shin suddenly had a vision of Kuroda-san saying these same words to her, impressing the seriousness of actions in the yakuza world. She knew how these conflicts ended. They didn't. They just grew larger and larger until there was no way to stop it.

Unless an outside party intervened.

With her pigtails and glasses gone, she suddenly looked very frightening as she pivoted slowly and started to walk, step by step, towards the small group of pipe-carrying students. And when she spoke, she used her chillingly calm yakuza voice.

"It seems that you have taken good care of my precious students."

"She's a teacher?" One of them whispered loudly in confusion.

"Aren't you ashamed of yourselves? You don't have the guts to fight alone, do you?" She tilted her head in contempt. "Is it fun to vent your frustration like this?"

"Shut up! These guys are useless garbage to society!" They yelled in return. "No one cares if we beat them up."

The whole class of 3-D advanced a few steps, ready to attack.

"Don't push your luck!" Yankumi shouted back, startling everybody. "You guys are utterly pitiful. Don't you know how to have a decent fight?"

And then, as if to prove her point, three of the members ran at her with their weapons raised. No one got the chance to use them. Swift blocks and punches quickly landed all three on the ground.

Murmurs of amazement echoed through the group. They had never seen anything like this.

One of the leaders that she had knocked to the ground suddenly rose to his feet and headed for her.

"Yankumi!" Shin shouted in warning.

She saw him coming, saw his weapon on the ground, then closed her eyes and braced herself.

The sound of his fist hitting her face reverberated through the warehouse. As everyone stared in shock, Shin knew that if she uttered the word, then entire class would rip her attacker apart. But she did no such thing. As a trickle of blood made its way past her lip, she looked at the student, completely unfazed.

"It hurts, doesn't it?" She asked him quietly, unexpectedly, as he clutched his hand in pain. "It hurts a lot when you strike someone bare-handed. It's not just the hand, is it? You felt a lot of weight, didn't you? Hitting someone is like that. Not understanding an obvious thing like this, don't go swinging a toy like that!"