20. There Was a Reason For That...

Freddie's POV

'Huh. Carly's been gone for a while,' I think to myself. 'Not that I mind.'
Sam's been fidgeting for a while now. She's digging her nails into my arm so deep, I'm definitely going to have marks in the morning.
"Sam," I whisper to her. "Are you alright?"
She looks up quickly, startled, and I see the flash of fear in her eyes before she replaces it with her usual, bored 'I don't care' look.
"I'm fine Fredly, don't worry your nubby head about it."
But her nonchalant words don't fool me. I feel her flinch and press herself against my side every time an even remotely scary scene plays. Something's up but, knowing Sam, she's not going to tell me what it is.
So I do the best I can to comfort her by pointing out all the unrealistic moments and how dumb the scary, typical horror flick music sounds. Slowly, she relaxes until she's pointing out things too and we're both imitating the idiotic characters. I'm trying hard to make her laugh and she, realizing that, does the same. By the end of the movie, tears are flowing freely down our cheeks and as I look over at my beautiful dark angel, I see everything I could ever want in a friend, a girlfriend, a wife; in my perfect match. She's chugging down a bottle of mountain dew like its nothing and I'm pretty sure she's going to spit take it at me later but I couldn't care less right now, looking at that face.
"Whoops," Sam says impishly as the main girl is about to get hit by a train. We keep straight faces for all of one second and then we're dying again. I can't help it. Honestly, none it would've been holding-your-sides-funny if it wasn't Sam here making the jokes. I slowly catch my breath as the movie ends and watch fascinated as her blue eyes dance with good humor and she smiles widely, just for me. I gave her that smile.
Feeling like I'm on top of the world, I get up and take out the movie. I hear Sam bounce up and turn around to see her run to the kitchen and dive into the fridge. Like usual.
"What're you up to now Princess?" I ask, trailing after her like the pathetic, lovesick mutt I've become.
"What does it look like Romeo?" She answers, flashing me a mischievous grin.
"It looks like you aren't watching your girlish figure."
"You got that right," she says, or at least I think that's what she says. It's kind of hard to tell around the ham steak in her mouth.
Laughing, I pull her out of the fridge(yeah, you thought I was joking when I said she dived into the fridge.) and stare openmouthed at the amount of food she managed to pull out at one time.
"Sam. Carly and Spencer need to have food left for the rest of the week. You can't just raid their entire fridge."
"What do you mean? There's food left in there. There's," she peeks in and squints. "French's honey mustard, and..oh, there's some whole wheat taco shells! And I know for a fact that there's an entire bottle of gatorade in the microwave." I give her an odd look.
"Why-"
"Don't ask."
Closing the fridge door, I roll my eyes at Sam.
"So you expect the Shay siblings to dine on gatorade and mustard tacos. Fantastic."
She giggles a little and then glares at me, partly for making her make the girlish sound and also because I start to put back the groceries she pulled out. I leave the ham steak since she already got her teeth marks on it out but that's it.
"Aw, don't worry Puckett, I think the girlish giggling is kind of adorable."
She snatches up the ham an then scoffs. "Yeah, adorable my-"
"Sam! Watch your mouth!" Carly rounds the corner and gives the blonde a disapproving look.
Sam grins sheepishly at her before asking, "So, where have you been all night? You suggest a movie and then leave like, twenty minutes into it? What's up with that?"
Carly fidgets and answers her reluctantly. "Well I, um, I forgot I had homework for tomorrow and so I uh, went upstairs to do it."
Sam and I exchange looks. Its obvious Carly is lying. But why?
"Okay, so since the movie is over, Freddie, you're going to leave, right?"
"Carls! That's so rude and um...un-Carly of you," Sam says.
"Yeah, yeah, well it was nice seeing you Freddie, now ba-bye!" She drags me to the door and pushes me out the door. "Oh, and don't forget to wear your new clothes tomorrow!"
"I-" she slams the door in my face, cutting off my reply.
"Well then," I say to the closed door. "That was uncalled for."
I'm about to turn away from the door and go catch some zzz's(People still say that right?) when I hear Carly tell Sam, "We need to talk."