My Magic Stuffed Animals - Chapter 10

Chapter Ten 

Mom rubbed my back. "Are you okay? Sorry we didn't give you the letter earlier." 

I shook my head, rubbing tears from my eyes. "I understand. Thank you for giving me the letter." I got up and hugged her. Then I did the same with dad. 

"What's this?" asked Dad in bewilderment. 

I smiled and waved the envelope with the letter in it. "I have something to do. Mom can we go back home?" 

"Aww, leaving so soon?" 

"Sorry, Dad." I looked at him apologetically. 

He nodded sincerely. "That letter must hold a lot of meaning to you. Things need to get done, eh? You better get them done right!" 

I gave a brief nod and tugged Mom toward the door and out to the parking lot. 

Mom said she needed to do grocery shopping, so she left me by myself at home : which meant to give me some space. 

I waved the envelope in front of Kit's face, who was talking to the new stuffed dalmatian.

Kit's expression turned sad. "So, you finally got it, huh?" 

I sat down on my bed next to her as she told the dalmatian to give us a moment for ourselves. He gladly nodded and left the room.  

"Where are they?" I asked.

Kit shook her head. "I don't know. They just disappeared without a trace. I'm sorry, Trinie. I wish I knew but-"

I placed a hand on her head. "It's alright. You know, they said that they gave me friends that can cheer me on." 

She giggled. "Didn't we do a good job at it? Well, I did most of the work. Kevin just stares at you." 

Instantly, I did a 360 in my room. "Speaking of Kevin, he's not here."

That seemed to make Kit panic for a second then relax. Now's the time for her to share the secrets she's been hiding. 

I crossed my arms. "Care to explain what you've been hiding for the past week?" 

Kit glanced at the letter, then at me. "Shorry, Trinie. We just wanted to keep you safe, that's all." 

"Safe?" I raised an eyebrow. 

"The more you know about your past, the more you'll suffer through decisions."

"Huh?" 

Kit sighed. "Well, now that you know about your parents, I guess now is a good time."

"Oh, really? I've been asking for days," I said, ready to clutch her tiny, ribboned neck and make her spill out the secrets if she dares to stall again. 

While making herself comfortable, she began. "It's true that I don't know where your parents went, but before they did, I was told not to tell you your past yet, since it might hurt your future." 

I busily tried to take a loose thread out of my bed sheet. 

"Trinie." Kit's face turned serious. "People are hunting you." 

My gaze shot up at her. 

"Not to kill you or anything like that, but they want to take you away from us." 

"Why? Who?" I asked quickly. These people need to be dealt with. 

"Because in order to get to you, they need to get through us first. Kevin and I had strict orders to protect you and the necklace from Them," she said in a serious tone I wasn't used to. 

"The necklace?" My hand went up to my silver necklace wrapping around my neck. "Why?"

Kit looked away. "I didn't really lie that we can't move in front of people, but I... sort of lied when I said we can only talk to you because you believe in us."

My eyes widened. I almost shouted, And I was humiliated because of that!

"W-Well w-we do s-still need you to believe in u-us! If not, then w-we wouldn't become best of friends now, would we?" Kit waves her paws in front of her, trying to reason.

I scoffed, then remembered my question. "So, what about my necklace?"

Kit's face went dead serious again. "Your dad's accident wasn't an accident, though he's lucky to be alive. Those evil people tried to make you sad so that the necklace will turn black soon."

"Black?" I looked at my necklace and noticed that it did get a little darker.

"That necklace is the reason why you can talk to us. The Necklace of FairyTales."