My Magic Stuffed Animals - Chapter 7

Chapter Seven 

Josh and I strolled side by side. I couldn't stop myself from blushing, so I turned my head opposite of him. I'm so lame that it's annoying!

"You look cute in that outfit," he said. I'm about to explode!

"Th-Thanks. You don't look bad yourself," I stammered, smiling weakly at him. He was wearing a plaid top and dark jeans with converse. He looked casual and it looked good on him.

He laughed. "Thanks." 

I bit my bottom lip, trying to stop my face from heating up. This is too much! But I can't wait for the carnival. And this is my first date with my crush. But not my first crush... 

Nearing the park, I could already hear the crowd and smell the popcorn. I smiled. It's been so long since I've went to the carnival. It gave a nostalgic tingle through my body. 

My eyes lit up as I stood in front of the whole carnival. The carnival was at full swing. There were stands with mini-games and lots of prizes. Cotton candy hung everywhere, the scent of popcorn filling the air, and little children laughing made my heart light up with so much joy. 

I could almost feel my real mom and dad here with me. 

Josh took my hand in his and pulled me toward the crowd. "Come on." He smiled.

I smiled back and followed his steps. We literally went everywhere. First, we went to all the mini-games. Most of the shooting and throwing games were won by Josh. He gave me all the prizes he won, including a stuffed dalmatian that was half as big as me. Kit and Kevin will have a new friend to hang around with!

Second, we rode all the rides, saving the Ferris wheel for last. The rides were fun, but it didn't seem as fun as it would for kids. I still had fun with Josh with me. 

Third, we tried all the food in each vendor once, avoiding a stomach ache. The food was delicious. It tasted like what you'd expect from joyful carnivals. It livens your soul and gives you memories you can cherish. 

Lastly, Josh and I went on the Ferris wheel. The sun was setting by the time we made it on top. Looking out the see-through walls, I smiled as the sun touched the houses and trees below, the warmth surrounding me. It was breathtaking. I wished my parents could see this. 

"So, did you have fun?" asked Josh, interrupting my thoughts.

I smiled. "Yeah. Thanks for the day, Josh."

For some reason, his expression changed into something like sadness. I was about to ask, but he shook his head as if to himself before I could get a syllable out. 

"It's pretty, isn't it?" he said to no one in particular, gazing at the sunset.

I followed, but we soon returned to reality as we went down and out the glass ride with my dalmatian. I wanted to go up again, but mother and father would be mad if I don't come home soon. 

Josh read my expression and nodded. "I'll walk you home."

"Y-You don't have to do that," I replied, smiling weakly. "You've done enough already."

But he just shook his head and smiled, showing his perfect white teeth. "It's alright. My house is on the way from yours, anyway."

I turned my attention to the stuffed animal he won me and hugged it tightly. "Okay."

On the way home, it was an awkward silence, but it was quite alright. I've had enough talking. I've used up all my voice in the carnival. I closed my eyes, reliving the moment. Gosh, it was so much fun. 

I was into my daydream so much that I didn't realize Josh had stopped walking. I looked back at him and his head was turned over his shoulder. 

"Josh?" 

He relaxed and smiled as if nothing happened. "I just thought someone was watching us. You didn't see anyone strange, did you?" 

I shook my head. "Did something happen?" I hope nothing did. I didn't see anyone suspicious. 

It was his turn to shake his head. "It's nothing. I was probably just being paranoid." He laughed weakly.

We continued the walk to my house again, but this silence wasn't the 'alright' one anymore. It was stiff. From the corner of my eye, I could still see Josh's head keep turning behind him. Something is troubling him, but I didn't have the nerve to ask. 

"Well, this is my stop," I announced, looking up at my house that towered over me. To be honest, I haven't really payed attention to this house before. It didn't seem to be mine at all. 

"I'm glad you have fun." Josh grinned and put his hands in his jeans pockets. 

I smiled. "Thanks again. For the day and this." I pointed to the dalmatian with my free hand and he chuckled. 

"See you around?" 

I nodded. "See you."

I began walking toward my house. But before opening the front door, I turned around and waved at Josh. He returned it and started his way to his own house. Even from here, I could see he was deep in thought. I wonder what he was thinking about. 

"Wonder what he saw?" The stuffed dog had a deep guy voice, but it kind of suited him, judging from his size. It looks like I'm dragging him.

"I don't know, but it seems serious," I answered the dalmatian.

The dog's head lifted up to meet mine. "You can understand me?" 

"Yeah. It seems weird, doesn't it?" I laughed weakly. 

"It's cool, actually. Sitting on a shelf isn't really what you'd call fun." His voice turned sad when he said that.

"So, um, do you want to meet my friends?" I asked.

"Can they talk to stuffed animals like you do?" He sounded happy, and I hated to disappoint him at that moment, but...

"I'm sorry, but they're not... humans." I swallowed, hoping I wouldn't ruin his day even more.

There was a pause that made my heart sink, but surprisingly, he was actually not that affected like I thought he'd be. "I'd like to meet them."

I bit my lip and opened the front door. It was awfully quiet. 

"Mom?" I called.

Nothing. 

"Mom? Are you home?" 

"T-Trin?" said a low voice of a woman. 

I followed the voice and ended up in her's and dad's room. At the edge of the bed sat a woman whose eyes were swollen from crying. Her wavy auburn curls fell like a waterfall on her shoulders as the light of the sunset hit them, making them shine. The scene looked like something from a painting. 

"Mom? What's wrong?" I didn't dare take a step closer in the room. Mother never lets me inside their bedroom.

The woman jumped from the bed and hugged me. "I tried looking for you in the library, but I didn't find you. I thought you came back home, but you weren't here either. I- I thought I lost you too." She sobbed on my shoulder, letting out hiccups.

"Mom. W-What happened?" I was shaking now. I closed my eyes, my brain making any possible situation that would cause her to be in such a situation. 

"Your dad got in an accident."

 __________________

How did you like Josh and Trinie's 'date' and what do you think happened to the dad? :O