My Magic Stuffed Animals - Chapter 2

Chapter Two

"Trinie Aldaine! Get your butt up your bed right now!" boomed a bossy woman's voice on the other side of my bedroom door.

I groaned, flipping over so that my back was against the bed.

"Trinie! Today is your first day of 8th grade! Get up or you'll do the dishes after dinner!"

"Alright! I'm up!" I yelled back.

"Well you better hurry up or you'll miss the bus!"

I scratched the back of my head irritably and stood up to my closet to get my uniform before going to my bathroom to exchange my Hello Kitty pajamas.

After the struggle to change my clothing, I walked to my desk to open my small velvet jewely box, revealing a silver necklace of a crescent moon connected with a star. I carefully took it out of the box, opening the clasp and put it around my neck, before closing the clasp again.

To be honest, I don't remember where I got this necklace. I don't remember much of my birth parents either, so I don't know if they gave this to me. It felt important though.

"It looks pretty on you, Trinie." I turned to my bed to find a white stuffed animal cat wiggling its tail.

I smiled and reached for my brush. "Good morning to you too, Kit." I call her Kit now since Kitty sounds too babyish.

"Today's your first day in 8th grade?" she asked, her voice coming out as sweet as candy.

I nodded, my eyes teary from the pain of taking out tangles, leaving the brush filled with my black hair. I sighed.

"It feels like I'm shedding," I said to no one in particular, though I knew Kit would answer, since Kevin never does. For some reason, he's still shy around me.

"I don't think humans shed. What do you think, Kevin?" She turned toward a brown bear with a red bow tie.

Kevin didn't reply and looked away when I met his gaze. I raised an eyebrow.

Kit shook her head. "Don't mind him."

I smiled, taking the hair out of the brush before putting it back on my desk. "Well I guess I'll be starting a new year, again." I grabbed my Yin Yang bookbag and swung it over my shoulder.

"Have fun, Trinie!" she cheered, purring.

I turned my gaze to Kevin, but again, he looked away. I just sighed and opened the door, saying, "See you later," as I shut it behind me.

I ran down the stairs, only to see that it was only 6:30. Mother woke me up 30 minutes early. No wonder my iPod didn't ring yet. Gotta turn it off.

"Well, well, you're up. Go sit down with your father until I get these toasts done," Mother said, her back to me.

I trudged to the white, circular dining table to find father's nose in a newspaper.

"Hey, dad." I swallowed before settling down on a chair across from him.

He slammed the newspaper on the table, exposing his shaggy brown hair, green eyes, and goatee. Well, he looked healthy I guess.

"Do you see this article? It's nonsense! How could a boy download so much games on his computer? Look what it got him! Bad grades and almost dropping out of school!" He was always like this, telling me his opinions on 'bad' things he reads in the newspaper.

"Disaster I tell you! Disaster is what leads to bad decisions," he continued, though I'm not really listening. But I just smile and nod, as if I am.

Luckily, Mother came in with a plate of toast and eggs. She slid it on the table and ran back in the kitchen.

Father took a toast and dipped it in his coffee, taking a long bite. He chewed loudly as he closed his eyes, savoring the moment. I looked away awkwardly.

Mother came back in with two glasses of orange juice, one for her and one for me. After taking a sip, I took a toast and bit into it, the crunchy texture filling my mouth. It was actually pretty good, not that I don't like Mother's cooking.

"So, what do you think of starting 8th grade?" asked Mother, drinking her orange juice.

I took another bite of my toast to stall time. I couldn't tell her that I would miss talking to my friends everyday, who were actually stuffed animals.

"It's great! Moving into a higher level and learning new things. It really fills the brain," I lied, taking another bite.

Father laughed. "That's my girl!"

I flinched when he said, "my girl.". I resumed eating my toast, finishing it in two more bites.

Mother was about to say something but was stopped when there was a loud honk outside. That was fast, I thought. I wiped my hands on the table cloth before grabbing my backpack and heading out the door.

"Be safe, honey!" called Mother. I ignored her as I crossed the lawn, waving to our neighbor, Mr. Jay, as I walked up the stairs of the bus, nodding at the driver before heading down the aisle. The bus was empty, except for one boy who was busy checking songs on his iPod.

I sat on the back of the bus, sitting on the side of the window that showed my house. I waved to my bedroom window, but I guess Mother thought I was waving to her since she waved back.

The bus door closed, but it opened again after a few blocks, picking up new students, even some that I noticed were from when I was in seventh grade.

We also picked up the Lington triplets, the famous and richest girls in Johnson Junior High. I rolled my eyes as they blew a kiss at Josh Tarson, "the most amazing football player through the school history" they say. I gagged. 

Eighth grade. Yipee.

__________________

Wish Trinie luck for eighth grade!