My Magic Stuffed Animals - Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

"Accident?" I asked, the situation freezing every bone in my body that I dropped the dalmatian. He made a 'thud' sound as he hit the floor. 

Mother sniffed a few times before answering. "H-He was going to work and then I got a phone call he got in a car crash. I tried looking for you, but I couldn't find you." She stroked my cheek and looked at me with swollen eyes. "Are you alright?"

I smiled weakly and nodded to reassure her that I'm fine.

She sighed and her gaze dropped to the floor. Then her eyes widened.

It took me a moment to get why she looks confused. 

Her eyes went back to mine. "Where'd you get that?" A pause. "You went to the carnival?"

I swallowed, hard. I didn't know what to say. My heart pinches as my face heats up from holding back tears. I lied to her. It only makes sense that she would get angry at me.

I shut my eyes tightly for whatever comes next. Only, I didn't get yelled at. I opened my eyes and the expression in front of me made my heart fall to my feet. 

Mom's eyes held sadness. She was holding back more tears. 

Before I could say a word, she hugged me. 

"M-Mom?" 

"I know it's hard for you to be moving to a new family and I know you don't trust us yet, but you could've told me you went to the carnival. We weren't expecting you to be a good girl that does her studies all day long. We just wanted you to be happy." She released her warm embrace. "You can tell us anything. You can trust us." She smiled.

I stared at her as I bit back a sob as tightly as I could. My heart absorbed all her words and it made me regret lying to her. Could I really trust them now? Could I really tell them my power?

Mom wiped her eyes with the back of her hands and chuckled a little. "I- I might have over-exaggerated. You're dad isn't really heavily wounded. Good thing he always wears his seatbelt, huh?" 

I smiled to show that I care. I really do. But I don't know what to do. Hug her? Smile more? Tell her the truth about today? My thoughts are swirling all over the place that I didn't notice her pick up the stuffed animal. 

"Did you win this?" she asked, holding the dalmatian like a baby. 

I shook my head. "Jo-" I stopped myself, almost saying his name. 

"Jo?" She cocked her head to the side.

"J-Joined a balloon popping game and won," I lied. More lies, but it's kind of true. Josh won it for me at that game.

She smiled sincerely. "Maybe the three of us can go sometime." 

Suddenly a memory hit me, like a flashback. 

"Trinie, what's that?" asked my mom. Her long, shiny black hair was curled today. 

"The teacher said this is called an amusement park. They said they have huge rides and big, big prizes!" I said, stretching my little chubby hands as wide as I could to represent how big the rides were. 

Mom laughed. "Maybe the three of us can go sometime." 

I nearly cried at the memory of my mom. It's almost as if it happened yesterday. I wonder why it showed up right now though. 

"Hey, Trinie. Let's go visit your dad. He's probably okay now," said mother, releasing me from my thoughts .

I nodded and mother gave back the dalmatian to me. I hugged him tightly as we headed for the stairs. 

"Oh, wait!" I went to the direction of my room and opened the door. I placed the dalmatian next to Kit. "See you later," I whispered and headed out my bedroom, closing the door behind me. 

Hopping inside the extra car we had, I realized something, causing my gaze to drift to my bedroom window. 

Maybe I'm hallucinating, but I could've sworn Kevin wasn't next to Kit. 

________________________________________________________

Short chapter, but I hoped you liked it. :) 

(Kevin disappeared again? Where does he go? o_o)