Chapter 39: Taking a Break From the Shinobi Life?

Sakura pov

Naruto held me as I sobbed. Sasuke had hit me. That's like what the villagers did, and he was no better.

Sasuke ignored by cries and continued on his path. "Which one of you did it?"

One of the Sound ninja stepped forward, smirking. "I did. What're you gonna do about it?" Suddenly, Sasuke disappeared in a flash and ended up behind him. "W-what? H-how?"

Both Naruto and I shuddered as we watched Sasuke's face light up with a sadistic grin. Crack. "AHHHHH!" My eyes widened in horror.

"I feel so powerful. I can now avenge my clan." Tears pricked the corner of my eyes and threatened to fall again.

"S-Sakura-chan! Don't go near Sasuke, he's too dangerous!"  I wriggled out of Naruto's clutches and ran towards Sasuke.

"Sasuke!" I shouted, getting closer and closer. I closed in on his back and hugged him from behind. "Please...! You need to stop. You're—you're scaring me." He flinched and let go of the bloodied arms, the marks receding. I sighed in relief along with the other injured ninja.

Quickly, I saw a metallic flash and the boy went limp. For what it seemed like the 100th time today, I cried out and stumbled away from my dark teammate. Staring at the glazed over eyes of the now dead opponent, I fell on my knees and then onto the ground. Shaking, I replayed the sinister look on Sasuke's face.

"—kura! Sakura! Sakura-chan!" I looked on in horror as Sasuke began laughing hysterically.

"Y-you're a monster, Sasuke..." I said quietly. "What happened to the Sasuke I knew?"

He stopped laughing. "Sakura! How can you not see that he was the monster! Look at your face, it's all bruised!" Sasuke attempted to get closer, I flinched, and Naruto took out a kunai, ready to protect me.

"What's your problem, Naruto? Too jealous of Sakura and I that you're here for her when she's vulnerable? How pathetic."

"Sasuke..." Naruto's whole body was shaking, trying to get ahold of himself. "Shut. Up. You're terrifying Sakura, and you're literally insane."

Slowly, I stood up. The other two ninja had fled, along with InoShikaChou. "Naruto, please don't fight with Sasuke. He's not in his right mind right now."

"Then what do we do?"

"U-um, I don't know. We have to get both types of scrolls, I guess."

"Dammit," Naruto cursed.

I looked back to Sasuke, who seemed to be watching the two of us carefully. He looks calmer now, try knocking him out. Then you can carry him. But then we'll be an easy target, we can't do that! It's either that or deal with a conscious psycho.

Sighing, I dusted off my clothes. "Alright Team 7, let's go." My voice was hoarse, and sounded like I had been crying the whole entire day. Probably cause I had. "We still have to get the other scroll, so let's—"

"Hey, Sakura-chan, look! The Sound left theirs here!"

My eyes narrowed. It was too good to be true. But...we need to get Sasuke out of here. "Alright Naruto, get it."

Timeskip...

Naruto pov

Sakura-chan dropped out of the Chuunin exams. I could tell she had been put on a lot of pressure. As for Sasuke, he fell into a coma from the mark. I defeated Kiba in the preliminary rounds, and I would be fighting Neji in the final round. I'm glad, though, because he began making fun of Sakura-chan and Hinata. It'll be payback.

Speaking of Sakura-chan, she's been unusually quiet. She was always quiet...but ever since Sasuke slapped her, she's been so distant...

Sakura pov

I can't take this anymore! I need to get out of here...take a break from the shinobi life. Are you really sure about this, kit? If you leave, you'll be declared a rogue. And besides, you need your medicine. If you go rogue, you won't have an easy access to it. Is it possible to get permission?

Minato pov

*knock knock*

"Come in, Sakura," I called out. I could sense her chakra signature.

Slowly, she shuffled in. "Ah, Sakura! How are you?"

"I want to leave. I need to take a break from the shinobi life."

"Of course! Wh— wait, what?" Not surprising. Naruto told me what happened. Maybe it would be okay...

"Well?"

"O-okay, Sakura, but in three years, you must return or I'll declare you a rogue. Exactly three years from now."

"Hai, Hokage-sama." Hokage-sama? She never calls me that... "I will pack immediately and leave tonight. I would prefer you don't tell my team."

"H-hai. But on one condition, I have one ninja travel with you. His name is Sai. He was from ROOT, but he is now an ordinary ninja like you."

"Alright. I need to meet him first."