Chapter 27: A Puddle On a Clear Day?

Sasuke pov

I was walking home and I passed the graveyard. I saw a flash of pink and I went over to inspect it. As I got clear I could hear a voice. "Okaa-san! Otou-san! Today is my birthday! I'm now 13 years old! The villagers are being even meaner than usual. Sure I got spit on, kicked, but one guy actually punched me! Can you believe that? People these days..." She chuckled. "I guess they're just angry at the Kyuubi. Anyway, I'll see you later! Bye!" Then she grabbed her bags and teleported to her apartment.

How can she be so happy all the time? Was Sakura's life that bad? I knew that people ignored her, but physical abuse? Sakura is pretty strong. She just needs a backbone to support her...

Sakura pov

As I was talking, I could feel a chakra signature behind me.. Sasuke? Meh. I ignore him and teleport to my house, so I can pack my stuff. Kunai, shuriken, three sets of clothes, a small rolled-up futon, and my favorite-- demon wind shuriken. I love, love, love them! Other than my katana, Kusanagi. After I'm done packing, I go to Ichiraku Ramen. I'd like to get a taste before I leave..

"Hello, Sakura! What are you ordering?" Ayame asked politely.

"Hello Ayame-san! I'll take the miso ramen with pork."

I pulled out some money to pay, but just then, Iruka-sensei walked in. "Hey! Iruka-sensei!" I cheered.

"Hello Sakura! I haven't seen you in a while! How Kakashi?"

"Well.." I started. "He's...different. But a good kind of different! Actually, after this, I'm supposed to meet my team at the gates for a mission!" I stated proudly.

"Eh? What's the mission?"

"We're going to escort a drunk guy to the Land of the Waves!"

Iruka pov

What? That should be a C-ranked mission! Why did Hokage-sama.... Oh. Sakura probably persuaded him. I chuckled. She can be very persuasive when she wants to. Just then, our ramen was served.

"Thanks Ayame-san!" Sakura cheered before slurping it down in less than a minute. "I'd like another bowl, please!" After five more bowls of ramen, Sakura was about to pull out her money, and I remembered. It was her birthday.
I quickly pulled out the total number of cash and gave it to Ayame while saying, "Sakura, it's your birthday! Let me pay."

Sakura pov

I thought for a bit and reluctantly let Iruka-sensei pay for my meal(s). As soon as we walked out he said, "I'm sorry that I nearly forgot you're birthday. To make it up, when you come back, I'll treat you to even more ramen."

I teared up and pounced on him. "Thank you, thank you, thank you... That's the first time someone other than Minato-San has told me happy birthday..." Iruka-sensei smiled.

"Well I'd better be off, I've got things to do! Good luck on your mission! Stay safe!"

He walked away and I was left in the middle of the streets, with Lenny of villagers bustling around me. I shouldered my pack and remembered that I forgot my medicine. I turned around back towards the hospital for some more, since it was going to be at least a week. After getting some more medicine, I teleported to the gates.

Tazuna, Sasuke, and Naruto were already there.  "Sakura-chaaan! We've been waiting! You're late, dattebayo!"

"Sorry! I ate ramen with Iruka-sensei and I had to do a few...errands. Besides, I'm not late if Kakashi isn't here."

I heard a poof behind me and someone say, "Yo." 

"Hn. I don't know why ramen is so good to you guys.." Sasuke muttered continuing our previous conversation.

"Are you kidding?" I yelled.

"Ramen is what makes the world go round!" Both Naruto and I said at the same time.

"Even better," Naruto added. "Ramen is the food fit for kings, no, ramen is the food of the gods!" We both exclaimed. Naruto and I both looked at each other and laughed. I chuckled though.

"Sorry to interrupt your weird speech, but we should go." Tazuna said. And so we did.

"Finally, someone that's normal." Sasuke said.

"What did you say, Teme?" I yelled.

"What it to you?..." He smirked and said, "...Dobe."

"NOW IT'S ON! DUCKASS!"

"Whiskers."

"SMARTASS!"

"Hn. Baka."

"EGOTISTIC RICH KID!"

"...You're so annoying."

"FUC--" I looked down. A puddle. It hasn't rained recently, has it? No, I admitted.

"Excuse me Sasuke, I'm gonna go annoy Kashi-sensei." I walked to the back of our formation.

I could see that Kashi-sensei was on high alert. It would be hard to see if I hadn't my sharp eyes. He was still reading his book, or so it appeared. Sensei had been on the same page for too long. He looked at me in the corner of his eye and I nodded to him. It was almost like I could tell what he was saying. Sakura! Go next to Tazuna, and don't be alarmed of what is to happen to me.

I skipped forward near Tazuna. I had my hand in my pocket with a kunai ready. Suddenly two ninja came out from the water and I smirked. I was right. The two wrapped their chains around Sensei and pulled hard. Pieces of our 'sensei' were strewn here and there. Naruto stood there petrified. I looked over at Sasuke and we both nodded. It was up to us.

"Sasuke! Wanna do our combo attack?"

He smirked. "I guess so, it's a lot of effort, but sure."

"Aww you sound just like Shikamaru!" I complained. Sasuke took his kunai and tossed them in the air. I concentrated my chakra to the soles of my feet and I jumped higher than the average person. "Naruto! Guard Tazuna!" I shouted and I took out my own kunai and hit Sasuke's. They pinned down both of the nin's chains. I landed gracefully after a flip in the air. Sasuke and I tied the two up with a special chakra rope I had. I checked up on Naruto and Tazuna while Sasuke interrogated.

Naruto pov

Sakura started walking towards us. "Watch out!" Sasuke yelled, and a kunai flew towards Tazuna. I stepped in front of him to take the blow, and I closed my eyes. I heard a yelp of pain and thud and I opened my eyes. I had no wounds. Then I looked down in front of me.

"Why...why would you do this for me, Sakura?"

"Because... I...I've already got one foot in the grave... And I swore to protect those closest to me..." She gave a humorless chuckle and fell forward, and I caught her. What did she mean by she already had one foot in the grave?