Don't Make Decisions When You're...

Why You Shouldn't Make Decisions When You're Emotional

A few years ago, I saw this quote floating around Pinterest:

"Don't make promises when you're happy,
Don't reply when you're angry,
and don't make decisions when you're sad."

Since it was a little lengthy, I revised that to become a new mantra that I've kept with me ever since:

"Don't make any decisions when you're emotional."
This little phrase has served me well over the years. Basically, whenever you're really sad, angry, upset, or even deliriously happy, you shouldn't make any decisions. Just waiting a few days or giving it a night to sleep on the decision will prevent you from making impulsive decisions that you might regret later.

This would apply to things like breakups, harsh words, hurting yourself, quitting things, starting things, and more.

Of course, there may be times in life when you have to make decisions when you're in an emotional state, like grieving a loss, but if you can follow the general rule to not make decisions when you're emotional, you'll save yourself a lot of heartache over time.

If you find yourself about to make an impulsive decision that you could regret later, come back to this mantra.

"Don't make any decisions when you're emotional."

Give it a few days. Sleep on it. Mull it over in the shower. Consult with someone else.

Just give yourself some time to cool down and become more self-reflective so you can determine what the best decision really is, without sharp emotion in the heat of the moment clouding your judgment.