Chapter 6:The Beginning of a New Life... or is it?

I hesitated every few moments as I was led down the hall, instead of taking me to the Captain's cabin he led me up and out onto deck. I glanced around but saw no one familiar.

"Well now, what is a pretty girl like you doing on a ship?" one man who assumed was the captain Jacob told me of.

"I am a passenger, and merely trying to find a family member," I answered simply.

"In Toruga?"

Simpleton

"No, I am certain Toruga was not the original destination set by the late Captain Andrews."

The man smirked," Who is this family member ye are lookin' for?"

I gazed steadily at him," my brother," I answered simply again.

"And who is this brother of yer's?" he asked not seeming to believe me.

"His name is Charles-- sir I was told ya have a proposition for me, is that correct?"

He nodded, "seeing as you are a passenger and only a girl, I will get one of my men to find ye a place to stay on the island, but if I hear the Navy is after us for any reason ya will be hunted down, understood?"

I clenched my fists, leaving me in Toruga was worse than marooning me on a deserted island in my opinion, "You're scared a little girl like me could rat ya out on a lawless island? Or is that the point of your plan to rid your ships of me?"

He smirked, "what do ye think?"

"Well what ya proposed was the least ya could do according to a passenger's rights, an' considering the hell I've been through the last few days I have half a mind to blab to the Navy anyways," if I am going to be staying on that wretched island it better be comfortable.

He walked a few steps closer to me, it was then I noticed how much taller he was than I and the murderous look in his eyes, "I suggest ye take what I offer and not make any fuss, I am being gracious to ye as ya boarded this ship when it was under British colors, but as ya can see under British colors 'tis no longer, an' considerin' what we usually do to pretty girls like yerself..."

I glanced towards where the British flag had been, my blood ran cold when I saw what flag had replaced it: the Jolly Roger. I backed away from the captain right into one of the crewmembers.

"Now what is yer decision? Smart talk yer way into a slow death or take my offer and not speak a word to the Navy 'bout this."

I looked down at my hands, they were trembling slightly, I looked back up at him, "Fine... I accept your offer."

"Good, James take 'er back to 'er cabin so she can gather 'er belongings then take her to Sapphire."

With that he turned away and the man, I assumed was James led me back to my cabin. My hands trembled as I packed my clothing hastily, I couldn't believe I was on a ship with pirates.

"Is that all you have?"

I looked up, surprised to hear James' voice, "yes...."I trailed off closing my small trunk. I picked it up," well, shall we be going then?"

He nodded and led me back up the hall onto deck then down the gangplank onto the dock, he took my trunk from me forcing me to follow him.

He led me through the loud harbor and into town, I tried not to gag at the smells of rum and liquor, unwashed men, and garbage everywhere, filled my nose. I hurried along behind James, and nearly bumped into him when he stopped, he made sure I was still following before going into a loud crowded pub. Hesitantly, I followed him, ignoring the leering looks I got from many of the men. A girl that looked at least two years my senior approached James, they talked quietly to each other. It seemed like they may have been lovers at one time from the way the girl looked at him. From time to time she'd glance at me with what looked like pity.