Chapter 19

Ava's POV

I don't know why, but seeing Freddie break down like that, hit me hard. 

He had been there through everything and we were so close and he was struggling so much. It hurt me to know he was struggling so much. 

Demi and Wilmer had signed us all up for therapy. We had to go nearly every day before school. Demi says its supposed to help, but I don't know how talking about my problems was supposed to make them better. Demi said it was trauma processing, whatever that meant. 

I spent all of my time in my bedroom or at the dance studio, I didn't go to school, I didn't talk to anyone, I didn't really feel the need to bother any more. I just needed to concentrate on my family. 

Life became something I had to do. A bit like breathing.

I woke up at 5:00 to go to therapy. Then I had a full day at school and then I went to dance. I kept myself busy, it was important to do so according to my therapist. Every now and then I slipped up and I had to be dragged out of it again. But Demi and Wilmer were there every single time to help. I was thankful for that. 

I had been given a key to the studio so I could just let myself in.

I slowly began to improve at dance again. I was worried I wouldn't, but as I began to eat healthily again I slowly began to improve. 

I was beginning to be able to manage it all. 

*****

"Ava."

"Yeah."

"Take the day off, we can stay at home and watch a movie."

"I thought I needed to stay in a routine?"

"You do, but one day won't hurt." 

I frowned at her.

"Don't frown at me, can't you see what your doing to yourself?" She said.

I shook my head but I dumped my dance bag and took my hair out.

"Thank-you, Ava." She said.

"What do you want for breakfast?" She asked.

"Bacon, please."

Demi smiled. "Bacon it is. Why don't you get into your pyjamas?"

I shrugged and for once in my life listening.

We sat and watched Mean girls. Demi said it was a classic. 

I just smiled and went along with it. 

***

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to Ava. Happy birthday to you!"

I was turning fourteen.

None of us were really in the mood to have a party but Demi said it was important and we all needed a party. Derek, Adam, Caden, Victoria, Melanie, Ben and Freddie were all here they had all made the effort and I was thankful. We were all struggling but we were all there for each other.

We all laughed when Josh blew out all of my candles for me. I hope he used my birthday wish well. I didn't really have any wishes. I just wanted to be happy but I knew that would take time. 

I knew if I survived this, I could survive anything.