Chapter 8

Ava's POV

After a week, I started feeling better physically. My head stopped aching, my arm was in a cast and in a sling, it no longer throbbed and hurt to use. Mentally though, I was drained and on the brink of crying all of the time. It was exhausting being awake. 

I managed to shower today. I was crying the whole time. I needed to get the smoke, soot, mud and blood off of my body. I scrubbed my skin raw and I was crying so much a nurse came and washed my hair. Victoria had brought me some clean clothes and I was dressed for the first time since the accident. 

In the accident, I got a huge cut across my forehead. I asked the nurses for some scissors and cut a fringe I hated the constant reminder every time I looked at my forehead. I hid the scar under my hair and went to see Freddie. 

It was horrible seeing them. They didn't seem to be getting any better, it was just a constant state of worry and it was making me ill. 

"You should go to school." Caden suggested.

"Why." I frowned at him.

"Get your mind off of things." He replied, simply. "Give me a chance to stop worrying about you for a couple hours."

I sighed. Maybe it was worth a shot. 

So here I was, back in school. I shouldn't be here. But I just needed to get my mind off of things. 

I walked into my classroom door and everyone was sat down already. 

They all looked over at me.

Kacie got up from her desk squealing and came and gave me a bear hug.

I hugged her back. For once I wanted hugs. I needed it. 

We sat down at our usual place and listened to Demi.

"Lovely to have you back Ava. What ever happened to cause you to stay off school for so long??" Demi asked smiling.

I frowned. "I don't want to talk about it."

She looked worried then. "I need to tell the headteacher why you were off of school."

"I was in a car accident." I said, my eyes immediately filling up with tears. I took a deep breath. 

I would not cry. Not here. Not in front of Demi.

I refuse to cry here.

"Is everything okay??" Demi asked.

"No." I snorted.

"Class dismissed." Demi announced, "Ava. Stay behind."

I rolled my eyes. I came here to forget about it. To be distracted. But no I was being pestered. 

"Is everything okay, Ava." Demi asked.

"No. Demi. It isn't." I snapped.

"Can you tell me why?"

"Three of my brothers died in that car crash." I said, quietly. "They didn't deserve to die, they were so young. So innocent. Taken out by a drunk driver. My only sister is dead. She flew out of the car windshield, died on impact. She had no chance."

Kacie leaned over to dab my eyes with a tissue. I hadn't even realised that I had started crying. I felt to numb to cry.

"So don't sit there and act like you care. You are the one who dumped me on that doorstep, you chose not to be there for me. 

Kacie looked shocked but didn't say anything. Demi was crying now, I didn't feel anything though. I couldn't.

"I tried Ava. But you would let me back in." 

I laughed, "Do you really expect me to?"

She didn't reply. 
I got up slowly out of my seat and walked out of the room. Kacie followed me carrying my rucksack, she didn't say a word, she just offered me a small smile and we walked off. 

I went to the hospital later and told Freddie what happened. 

"Wake up Freddie. I need you." I wept. "I need you so much."

***

Later on when I had calmed down, I went and visited Isaac.

I was surprised when I found that Ben or Caden weren't here but I ignored it. I didn't like the thought of Isaac being left alone. 

I stroked his forehead.
I began singing him nursery rhymes like I did at home.
His eyes had opened slightly. He was staring at me though. There was no doubt about that. 

"Ava?" Isaac muttered.

I pushed the nurses bottom on the bottom of his crib and gave him a big smile.

"Hey sweetheart. How you feeling??" I smiled.

"Like poo." He said, slowly closing his eyes again. 

"Don't shut your eyes again, buddy." I said, softly. "The nurses are coming."

Nurses came in and checked him over. They breathed a sigh of relief when they saw him awake. His little hand clung onto my own as they checked him over. 

"Ava."

I glanced up to the doorway and my mouth dropped. I screwed my face up when I saw him, trying to conceal the large sobs coming out of my mouth. 

"Dad?"

"Hey sweetheart." He looked distraught, but was smiling at me through his sadness. He opened his arms and I ran into them. I swung my arms around his neck and sobbed into his shoulder. 

Dad was home.