Chapter 9

Ava's POV

"I missed you so much!!" I sobbed, "You were gone for so long."

"I'm back now sweetheart." He rubbed my back and he began to cry as well. 

He got up to his feet and walked over to Isaac. He was asleep now, Dad kissed his forehead and hugged me close.

I wrapped my arms around his head and didn't let go. I didn't want to. I was worried he would just leave again and I would be alone again. 

"You've all got so grown up." Dad said hugging me.

I didn't say anything I just hugged him. He had been gone for so long, of course we would have grown. 

We sat down watching the nurses work on Isaac.

"I heard about Demi." Dad said.

I shook my head, "I don't want to talk about it." 

He nodded and didn't bring it up again. 

***

I spent the night telling Dad about everything he had missed for the past 2 years whilst he was away with the army. He didn't really seem to listen, he was falling asleep in the chair as I was talking and he didn't seem to react when I slowly stopped talking. I sighed and pulled a blanket over his sleeping body. 

He was in the army, he had been in Syria trying to help the people over there. It was tough work but he wanted to do it. He wanted to be at home he always told us but he needed to be out there, helping those people. 

"Mr Jonas. You are allowed to take Isaac home now." A nurse said. "He is stable, you need to make sure he gets lots of rest, lots of fluids and lots of food."  

We thanked her and then packed all of Isaacs stuff up. I picked him up gently from the cot. He wrapped his arms around my neck and I carried him down to the car. 

Ben decided to stay the night with Freddie and Adam so we drove home.

***

It was a call in the middle of the night that got us both out of bed. 

My mobile started ringing.

It was Ben.

"Ava!! Adam's awake!!" Ben shouted.

I got out of bed and ran into Dad's bedroom shaking him awake.

"What? What is it?" He was sat up quickly, fully awake. 

"Adam is awake!" I told him quickly. 

"Okay." He got out of bed quickly pulling on trousers and a t-shirt all within thirty seconds. 

"You stay here with Isaac, Ava." He started, "I'll go with Caden to the hospital." 

I nodded and helped Caden and Dad get ready and out the door. I then went and lay down next to Isaac closing my eyes. It was comforting to lie with Isaac and I think he felt comforted too by my presence. He was too young to understand what was happening. He didn't deserve any of this. 

When I woke up, Adam was sat on the living room sofa looking exhausted. 

"Adam?" I whispered. 

He opened his eyes slowly and gave me a weak smile. 

I walked over and wrapped my arms around him. "You scared me." 

"Sorry, sweetheart." He wrapped his arms around me too and hugged me tight. 

"How's Isaac?" Adam asked. 

"He's alright. Sleeping." I replied, sitting on the couch next to him. 

He nodded, his eyes then filled with tears, "Sorry Ava." he gulped. 

"What for?" 

"It's all my fault." He sobbed. 

"No it isn't." I responded quickly. "It was the drunk driver's fault, he came on our side of the road." 

"I should have been playing more attention, maybe then I could have swerved, I could have gotten out of the way and we would have just gotten that takeaway and gone home."

"Don't blame yourself, Adam." Caden walked in behind me. "That's dangerous."

"It was my fault." He mumbled.

"No it wasn't. Don't you dare say it." Caden snapped. "You don't need that on your conscious." 

He nodded sadly, but I could tell he wasn't convinced.