12 years ago

What now?

It was midnight and I was walking around with my baby in a baby carrier.

I became pregnant over a one night stand and I was mentally not able to look after a child. I was only really a child myself I was twenty and still felt way younger. I was seventeen, broke and my parents wanted absolutely nothing to do with me or the baby. I had hid my pregnancy all the way up until birth, my parents didn't play attention to me so why would they notice? I went into labour in my room alone and laboured for nearly five hours before getting into the bath and giving birth. 

My Mum kicked me out of her house when she saw me. I was in the bathtub holding the baby to my chest. She was horrified and she began cursing me out. 

She kicked me out once I could stand and said that I could only come back without the baby.

I hadn't even named her.

I didn't think I had the right to do so.

I got into my parents car, they didn't know I had taken the keys. Again too busy to notice. 

I didn't bother putting the seatbelt on the carrier and I began to drive. I wasn't really sure I was in the right state to be driving. I had just given birth I should probably get both me and her straight to the hospital. I wasn't too fussed anyway. I didn't have much to live for. 

After an hour of driving I pulled up at his house. We had been best friends all through childhood and school. We made the mistake of sleeping together a year ago however and this was the result of it. But he had a wife and children already. I didn't know that at the time. 

I grabbed the carrier and walked up to the door of my baby's fathers house.
I banged on the door. I was in agony now. I probably needed stitches, I needed a lot of medication. God knows how I was going to pay for it. 

Minutes later Nick opened the door and his face full of shock when he saw the baby.

"What are you doing here Demi?" He paused when he saw the state of me, "Are you okay?"

I shook my head, "I can't be a Mum, Nick." 

"I can't be a Dad either, Demi." He shook his head,

"You already are, you have sons." I replied, crouching over, in pain. 

"No, Annie-"

"Nick. She's either going with you or in care." I stated, getting breathless. 

"Care." He replied, "I can't ruin my family."

"You are an asshole, Nick." I spat. 

"You can't just dump a baby on me, Demi!" He shouted. 

I rolled my eyes and placed her on the floor in her car seat. I then walked back to the car in agony whilst he stood and watched in horror. I somehow managed to get in the car and I rolled down the car window.

"Demi." He looked desperate. 

"Be a good Dad, Nick." 

I rolled up the window and drove off.