Chapter 13

Ava's POV

The tension faded since that conversation. I didn't despise her now. I could be in the same room as her without wanting to scream. She gave me a plate full of toast for breakfast and then she went off to work. I was being given another teacher since I was living with Wilmer so I couldn't attend school just yet. I wasn't even sure I wanted to go anyway. 

I spent the day with Wilmer. He painted my room again for me, a deep shade of blue. I didn't want the pink, it constantly reminded me of home and I didn't want the reminder. He brought me a new blue duvet set with blue curtains and spent the day sorting my room out.

"Thanks Wilmer."

He beamed at me, "Of course." 

"How did you meet Demi?" I asked.

He smiled, "I used to work at a drug support group. I met your Mum there and we got married within the year. It's not very romantic. But I loved her and I wanted to help her turn her life around."

"And you did?"

He smiled, "Yeah, I did. She got her teaching qualifications and she got everything she dreamed for. Well nearly."

"What didn't she get?"

"You back." He smiled, sympathetically. "She regrets everything she did to you so much. But she doesn't at the same time because you had an amazing childhood. So she is very conflicted." 

I nodded, looking down at my fingernails. 

"Are you going to dance today?"

"No." I replied, "It doesn't feel right going when Freddie is still in hospital."

"I'm sure Kacie will miss you."

"She will live." I replied. 

My mobile began to ring.

It was Ben.

"Hello?" I said.

"Ava. It's Freddie, he's awake."