Poor Thing

*6 weeks later*

"Oh my goodness! Look these chubby cheeks!" Christine gushed over her nephew. Christine held the baby in her arms, smiling down at him. "Jeez Nicks! What have you been feeding him!? Six weeks ago he was this tiny little thing. Now look! He's a chubby little cutie pie! Oh I can just eat him up!"

Stevie laughed as she looked on at her best friend holding her son.

Christine chuckled then continued to baby talk to the baby. The baby was content, even smiling at Christine.
Suddenly the baby began to whimper then he gave a loud cry.
"Oh no! I think I've broke him!" Christine said.
Stevie laughed. "You didn't break him. He's just hungry." Stevie said. "Come here Liam."

Stevie reached over and brought Liam into her arms. She then pulled up her blouse and pulled down her bra then put Liam close to her breast.
Liam began to suckle right away.

Stevie then turned her attention back to Christine. "How have you been doing?" She asked.
"I've been doing so much better." Christine said. Her face was healing well and her bruises were almost gone. With makeup, they were completely hidden and her face looked flawless again. Stevie knew Christine had been seeing Dr. Baker; Stevie understood why she was seeing a therapist but didn't know that Christine's turmoil went much deeper than what she had been telling Stevie.
Christine was doing well in her sessions but still she knew she was far from being completely healed. "How about you?"

"I'm okay. Since I laid my eyes on Liam...I finally felt like everything is going to be okay. I still have my moments; I'm still seeing Dr. Baker. I'm not ready to stop seeing her." Stevie said as she got a bit tear-y eyed.
Christine put a hand on Stevie's shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. Stevie smiled and quickly wiped away a tear that had managed to escape. "So...how are things going with you and John?" Stevie asked changing the subject.

Christine smiled a sly grin. "What do you mean?"
"Oh come on Mcvie! Spill it!" Stevie said laughing.
"Okay okay." Christine chuckled. "Well...John and I have decided to give our relationship another chance."
"Awe! Chris, I'm so happy for you both." Stevie said.
"Thank you." Christine said. "John has been really great. He's been by my side since I got out of the hospital. He's been my rock."

Christine and John have officially become an item again. They have been together for a few weeks now and have been taking things slow.
Christine was very open with him and was afraid to tell him about the rape. But she wanted him to know that she may not be ready for intimacy for quite some time.
John had told her that he didn't care; he told her that he would be there for her no matter what. He would wait till she was ready. He had also said if Joe hadn't died he would have hunted him down and killed Joe himself.

Stevie and Christine talked for a few more minutes; Liam stopped suckling and was now fast asleep. Stevie fixed herself and brought Liam close to her; his head laying on her chest.

Just as Stevie got comfortable, Lindsey and John walked in from the backyard where they were having a barbecue and announced that lunch was ready.

Stevie sighed, Christine helped her up then Stevie laid Liam in his bassinet that Lindsey had brought from the nursery and into the living room.

They all walked into the dining room and sat down to eat. They all talked as they ate; it was a relaxing atmosphere.

Suddenly, Christine pushed her plate away; she only hate half her plate.
She excused herself and rushed into the bathroom.

"Poor thing. She's been feeling a little under the weather these past few days." John said as Stevie looked concerned.

Stevie stood up and walked over to the bathroom to check on Christine.
Stevie heard retching coming from behind the door. "Chris?" She asked then knocked.
"I'll...I'll be right out!" Christine called out.

Stevie stood back and waited for Christine to come out.
The door opened and Christine walked out.
"You okay?" Stevie asked, with worry in her voice.
"Yeah...I'm fine." Christine replied. "It's just a stomach bug or something."
"How long has this been going on?" Stevie asked.
"A few days." Christine said looking pale and a bit sweaty. "I should have said something. I hope Liam doesn't catch this."
"I'm sure he'll be fine, but I'll keep a close eye on him." Stevie said. "Have you been to a doctor?"
Christine shook her head no. "I'm scared."
Stevie hugged Christine then said. "I'll go with you if you want."
"Yes. Please. I don't want to go alone and...I don't want to ask John." Christine said, her voice shaking.
"Of course! Make an appointment for tomorrow and we will go." Stevie said.

Christine took a deep breath to calm herself then told Stevie she would join them again in the dining room in just a moment. She used Stevie's phone and made an appointment with her doctor for the next afternoon.

After Christine returned, the rest of the night went smoothly.

The next afternoon came and Stevie asked Lindsey if he would watch Liam while she and Christine went out for a "girls day out".
Lindsey said yes and for them to have fun.
Stevie kept a smile on her face and kissed him and Liam goodbye.

At the doctors office, Christine was taken to an exam room and was asked some questions then the doctor ran some tests.
Stevie sat on a chair next to the exam table that Christine was sitting on.

The doctor put a rush on the blood test and would be ready in a few minutes. The doctor told Christine to sit tight.

Christine was nervous; she held onto Stevie's hand for comfort. Stevie didn't let go for a second; she was so worried about her best friend.

Thirty minutes later, the doctor walked in with the results in hand. He looked at the results then folded the paper back up again then set it aside.

A smile crossed his face and said. "Congratulations Ms. Mcvie...you're pregnant."