Angel

*Trigger Warning*

Stevie laid on her side on the hospital bed. She cried until there were no tears left to cry.
She held the tiny body of her baby girl in her arms.

Stevie didn't want to let go; every time a nurse tried to take the baby Stevie would through a fit and wouldn't allow anyone near her.

Christine cried along with Stevie; she was there through the whole thing.
Once they arrived and Stevie was examined, the doctor informed her there was no other option but to deliver.

Stevie was in labor for two hours or so and pushed a few times before she delivered her baby girl.
Once the baby left Stevie's body, there was no cry. The team of doctors and nurses did their best to get the baby to breathe but it was no use.

Christine had told the nurses and doctor to give her some time, she would try to convince Stevie to hand over her daughter.

Christine was at her wits end, Stevie wasn't giving up.
Christine stepped out to use the phone and called Lindsey; maybe he would have some luck.
She told Lindsey everything that happened and that the baby didn't make it.

As Lindsey drove to the hospital, he saw red. He wanted to go over to Joe's and kill him.
But no, at this moment Stevie needed him.

Lindsey walked through the door of Stevie's hospital room.
Lindsey's heart ached at the sight in front of him.

Stevie was sitting up and gently rocking her baby girl back and forth.
She was singing to her daughter.

Lindsey wiped the tears from his eyes and composed himself.
He stepped closer to her and gently sat down on her bed.

Stevie looked up and smiled at him. "Hey Linds." She whispered. "Look, I had my baby girl today. She's perfect."
Lindsey looked at the tiny baby in her arms.
"She's adorable." He whispered back.
They stared into each other's eyes and in that moment Stevie knew why he was there.

She quickly looked away and her eyes fell back on her daughter's face.
"Stephanie?" Lindsey asked tentatively.
Stevie's eyes filled with tears. "Shhhh...Lindsey, she's sleeping. You'll wake her."
Lindsey held back a bit, so he moved to sit right by Stevie and wrapped his arm around her. Stevie leaned closer to Lindsey.
To her it felt right and natural.

Christine stood in the corner watching; her tears rolling down her cheeks.

After some time Lindsey took a deep breath. "Angel, please. They need to take her now. You need your rest."
Stevie shook her head.
"Stevie, look at me. Please." Lindsey said.
Stevie looked at Lindsey.
"I'm so sorry but...she's gone Steph. We have to take care of you now and we can't do that until you give her to the nurses. They'll take good care of her."

Stevie sobbed, her tears blinding her.
After a few moments, Stevie looked at Christine.
"Chris...you take her okay? Stay with her through everything so...she won't be scared." Stevie said her voice quivering.
Christine stepped foreword. "You have my word Stevie."

Stevie held her baby for a few more minutes then gave her one final kiss before handing her over to Christine.

When the door closed behind Christine, Stevie cried out and flung herself into Lindsey's arms.
She was having trouble breathing.
"It's okay Steph, I'm here. I'm here!" Lindsey said trying to calm her. "You cry and let it all out but you have to breath angel."

Stevie did as he said and controlled her breathing.
Lindsey held her for hours it seemed, she finally fell asleep clinging to him.

Christine walked back in, she sat on the chair by Stevie's bed and slumped down.
She took a moment before speaking.
"I called Mick and John. They are on their way. They're going to pick me up then we are going to drive to Joe's and get Stevie's things.
We are going to get everything we can. When she gets released from here, I'm going to take to my house so she can stay with me for a while."