Chapter 56: Back to the Roots II

A/N: Please read this author’s note. This is the last chapter of this story, after this there will be a short epilogue and Part 1 of Outcast will be over. *Awww* But don’t worry, there is always Part 2!! I hope that you will enjoy the next Part as much as this one! Thanks for sticking with Sam and me till the end of this Part! I hope you shall be interested to read the next Part too! More details will be given after the epilogue, as I have great news to tell you bit it’s a little bit long to explain.

Please tell me if you liked this Part or maybe if you have some ideas for the next one! I love hearing your thoughts though I have the story already planned out in my head!! I’d be very happy to get some constructive criticism; I want to improve my writing to make it more enjoyable for you guys!!

I heart chu all :D So Enjoy:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sam’s POV

We were back. We came back to a place that during many lonely times I had wished I could just reverse the clock and send us back through time, back when we were still here. Now, knowing that we had come such a long way from then made me feel stronger, filled me with courage.

Guess where we were?

Let me give you a few hints. There was a pool of crystal clear blue water that flowed freely. Water so pure and unpolluted that looked almost too picturesque to be true. There was fresh green grass beneath our feet; grass at all those years ago had grazed softly the skin of my back as Alec and I laid on it looking at the heavens above us.

And the clear give away was the cottage, with it's curled metal bars that gave it that old feeling and a hole in the middle through which Alec's body had passed when I flung him off of me after the vision of him and Aro discussing about my future with the Volturi.

We were back to the place where I had given myself completely up to Alec, for the very first time. We were just mere kilometres away from the clock tower. Yet, the still peacefulness of the place made it almost seem as if nothing had ever changed.

"Can you believe that it's been all this time?" I asked Alec. For most of the time he had been speechless, just like now. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me to him.

"Sam you have no idea how much I tormented myself those few years without you, thinking that it was my fault and that I had hurt you by not telling you all of the truth. It haunted me, knowing that you had suffered so much because of me." I smiled up at him.

"Don't say that. All that matters now is that we're together and we're happy." I said softly, savouring the moment.

"This place brings back so many beautiful memories; maybe we can jog them up a little bit..." Alec said as he tugged at my cream leather jacket. I let the jacket fall to the ground and let a smile slip on my lips as Alec's lips covered mine. We had never been so in touch both physically and emotionally. His touch no longer made me feel self conscious, but it held all the warmth, love and safety in the world.

There was no need for teasing, I let his tongue explore my mouth as his hands travelled all over my body, cupping my breast. I arched forward, my body yielding to his.

Let's just say that we got a tat bit carried away after that.

XXX

"Okay, we need to lay some ground rules. We're both getting distracted way too easily." I said frankly to Alec as be pulled up the zipper to my dress.

"It's a good kind of distracted." Alec said with that lopsided grin I loved so much. He always had this goofy expression after we made that made me laugh so hard. He looked like a kid on Christmas morning. I helped him button up the last few buttons of his shirt. Once we looked all smart and tidied up and there was no clue on both of us of what we've just done except for the scent within me, I got a brilliant idea.

While Ale put on his black leather jacket, I skipped across to a tall oak tree that stood proudly next to the little pond and using my nails, I skilfully wrote our names on the trunk and surrounded them with a big heart. That way this lovely place would always have a memory of the two of us. Alec kissed my cheek and took my hand lovingly. We started running together towards an all too familiar place.

"Now come on, let's go talk to your sister. I really hope that she changed her mind about me. We may be not that similar but I really hope she still doesn't hate me that much." I said as we ran, I fidgeted with my lip, a habit I had picked up when I was anxious.

"Stop being so worried. She never hated you, she just thought that we weren't the right persons for each other. She respects you for standing up to her. Not many do that."

I smiled. Now it sounded so far away, trying to stand against Jane, but during that time I had been scared shitless. "Yeah, but I guess love can make people do the bravest things."

He squeezed my hand reassuringly. "Relax, okay? You're perfect to me so you don't need to prove yourself to anyone."

"Thanks, baby."

He grinned lopsidedly. "About the whole 'baby' thing, I kind of have a very badass reputation, and 'baby' doesn't exactly do it justice so, can we drop that nickname?" I grinned.

"Okay, so you'd rather not be called 'baby' and keep that legendary badass reputation intact than suck it up an let us enjoying being all loved up and intimate for once?" I asked him playfully. His back stiffened. "I think I'll suck it up." he said solemnly. I snickered. "That's what I thought, baby."

After not more than ten minutes we had arrived. We both stared at the tall building. Ironically enough, the moment we arrived, the clock struck midday, as if it was alerting everybody of our presence. Alec shifted uncomfortably in his leather jacket, a dark look crossing his face. I could tell that being so close to his past put him on edge. I tightened my hold on his hand and squeezed it reassuringly . He put his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him. I could tell that for as long we're here, he wouldn't let me out of his sight for a minute, as if we were joined by the hip. I didn't mind it at all, in fact I needed his reassuring, lean body next to mine at all times right now. It was a fact that I had slacked off in my fighting techniques and in the events that something might not go with the plans I wouldn't be able to defend myself that much, but I'm sure Alec would have no problem defending me. I could rely on him.

A crowd of tourists passed us, some complaining that Alec and I were in the way. It made me a little sad that these people would never see the sun again once they stepped inside that huge door. But I accepted it. Had we been in my territory I could have put a stop to it, but here, it was useless for me to do anything.

"Shall we go in?" I whispered, realising from the strained sound of my voice just how tense I was. Alec nodded and together we made our way after the crowd.

"Welcome to the Palazzo dei Priori in Volterra. I shall be your tour guide, if you have any questions just ask. We'll take a short trip around the clock tower. Not all rooms will be accessible as the majority are private chambers of our staff. Any questions?" I heard a bored Heidi say to the crowd. I couldn't see her since we were at the back, but I would have guessed that voice anywhere.

I lifted my hand, as if I wanted to ask a question. Unfortunately for me, I think the crowd was made up of six foot giants, so she didn't notice my hand in mid air. I heard Alec snicker next to me at my attempts of trying to make myself noticed among the crowd. Oh, the curse of midget-ness, I'll never get rid of it.

"I have a question." I finally had to say. I heard a clear gasp. When the crowd parted a little bit for me to be able to look at Heidi, I could finally see how stunned she looked. Her eyes were wide, as if she had just seen a ghost.

"Sam?" she asked doubtfully, as if disbelieving her eyes.

"How long has it been? Twelve years?" I said with a grin. Finally the corners of her mouth twitched and she ended up grinning wider than me. Using a little bit too much speed than acceptable in front of humans, she ran toward me and hugged me. "It really is you! Oh my god I can't believe it." she said. By now the crowd was looking at us bewildered. Heidi told the receptionist to take the tourists around the clock tower so that she could catch up with us.

"Oh my god! I have so much to tell you! You look stunning, honey and you smell like you've been up to mischief, haven't you?" she said as she wagged her eyebrows at us. Both Alec and I chucked uncomfortably. Let's just say that none of us liked to talk about what we did when we got intimate. "I'm so happy you found her, Alec! We were worried you cracked and went trying to find her. The Masters couldn't believe that you left like that and Jane wouldn't spill any beans. But now you must tell us everything! How did you find each other? Are you here to stay permanently?" she bombarded us with questions. "Calm down, Heidi. I'll tell you everything. But this is just a visit. We do not plan on spending more than a few hours here, we just wanted to invite some people personally."

"Invite them to what?" she asked before I could flash the wedding ring on my left hand. She gasped. "Aw, you're getting married! That's so sweet! I'm invited, aren't I? Oh Chelsea will die when she hears about this. Let's go get her." she babbled. I loved the two vamps to pieces but they did babble on forever.

"Heidi, we'd rather not make such a big fuss of our presence, you understand that it's quite a delicate issue because of Aro..." I trailed on, hoping she'd understand. Thankfully she did. "Just let me get Chelsea. And I'm sure Alec would want to see his sister."

"If you don't mind calling her too." Alec said after he thanked her. She nodded and hurried up the stairs. "Did I hear correctly?" I heard a sweet voice say. A voice that obviously belonged to Alec's little sister, Jane.

"Jane!" Alec said excitedly from next to me. The one in question emerged from the dark steps. "Alec!" she said in utter delight as she ran gracefully at the speed of light till she reached her brother. She gripped on to him like a koala bear in a movement that sure would have enraged me had I not known that she was his sister. She gripped on to him tightly. I bet she missed him a lot.

"Alec you found her! Hello, Sam." she said, for once sounding genuinely happy when she said my name. I smiled kindly at her.

"Hey, Jane. I'm happy to see you." I answered. Alec smiled as he ruffled her hair playfully making her seem much younger than her actual frozen state at eighteen years old.

"What are you two doing here? Master Aro was very grieved when you left Alec. I'm not sure coming here was the best idea. Not that I'm not happy to see you." she added quickly.

"I am well aware of that, but Sam insisted that we should tell you the big news personally." Alec said, a big smile forming on his lips.

Jane appeared to be a little confused. "What big news?"

I held up my left hand. Her eyes went wide. The moment felt as if it would crack with tension. Even Alec look strained. There was no telling what she thought about our marriage, her pokerface hid it all.

"You're going to get married?" she asked softly, her voice unreadable.

I nodded as Alec tightened his hold on my waist. "I love Sam, Jane. And I asked her to marry me."

Awkward silence followed. After what seemed like hours, a small smile tugged at Jane's lips."Who would have known that my brother would have ever had the courage to open up his heart to a girl, and now you come here, all happy and smiling, with your fiancée next to you. I have just one question. Does this mean that I have a new sister?" she asked, looking at me with gleaming eyes. I and let out a nervous breath that I didn't know that I had been holding.

"Just call me Sis!" I said to her as I held out my outstretched arms. She returned my hug, though a little bit awkwardly, she still did.

"Jane, we wanted to talk to you a little bit, well, I wanted to ask you something actually. I don't know-" I started but then I was cut off by Alec who tugged at my sleeve to get me to stop talking. I looked at him questioningly but then I realised why he wanted me to shut up.

A crowd of at least ten vampires I had never seen before stood at least a good six metres away from us but surely enough they were staring at us- no, scratch that, me in particular - as if I was a ghost.

"It's really her! She's his mate!"

"She's the one who separated the twins."

"I can't see why he chose her, she looks like a little girl, nothing special."

"Is that jealousy speaking, Jenny? It's obvious that she's special, otherwise his scent wouldn't be all over her."

Okay whoever this Jenny bitch was she was wrong, I did not look like a little girl. I'm just short and I know it, no need to rub it in. Heidi came down the stairs with Dimitri hand in hand with her and Chelsea and Afton close by.

"Okay, all of you clear off. There's nothing to see her. Dinner's just arrived so run along." Heidi said to the crowd, treating them as if they were disobeying children - which to her they probably were. They grumbled a little but eventually moved away.

"Sam!" I heard Chelsea say, right before she squeezed me in a bear hug.

"I never thought we'd ever see you again here! Things have been so boring without you." she said frankly. "Well, that is until Heidi started falling for Dimitri. That's when hell broke loose. These two together are like a tornado."

"You guys! I'm happy for you! Oh, and Dimitri, um, I wanted to say that I'm sorry for for pushing you against a wall twelve years ago." I said guiltily as I played with my bottom lip. Chelsea, Afton, Heidi, Dimitri and burst laughing. Alec just chuckled, knowing me enough by now.

"Still the same old Sam, I see. Belated apologies accepted." Dimitri said through laughs.

"You're wrong there, much has ch-" a vision cut through my sentence. A short yet extremely significant one.

"Alec we need to g-"

"Alec, Samantha! You are here! I am delighted to see you, especially you Samantha, it has been too many years. But the important thing is that you are here with us. Welcome back to the Volturi. This is truly a happy day. We have acquired back two of the most powerful members. We truly have something to rejoice about, indeed."

His voice was enough to send chills down my back, but I fought against it. I looked at the jet black haired vampire in front of me. Still the same. Nothing changed about him. His eyes still shone crimson like the brightest blood. His skin was as unbelievably pale as always, almost translucent with prominent blue-violet veins visible beneath his chalky white skin.

"Aro." hearing the cold, emotionless word coming out of my mouth made me sick to my stomach.

"Yes, Samantha? We have much to discuss, but first I'm sure that you and Alec would rather settle in first."

"Mast- Aro," Alec corrected himself. I noticed how Aro's left eye twitched the slightest of movements at this, but he didn't say anything. "I'm afraid you misunderstood. Sam and I are just visiting some friends and family. We do not plan on staying."

"I do not understand. What is the meaning of this? First you leave for month without any notice or explanation and now you're talking this nonsense."

"It means that I no longer want to be part of the Volturi's guard. I found my mate and I want to live with he without any strings."Alec said defiantly.

Aro's eyes widened, and I swear I had never seen this amount I'd surprise on his face. His features instantly changed to show white hot anger. He breathed in deeply.

"Alec, are you sure? This is quite a big decision. Not to mention the fact that all you know is life with the us, the guard. I saved your life when you where just a young man, defenceless and alone. Had it not been for me, you would have died!"

I knew that this wasn't going to end well. My psychic senses were going crazy. I suppressed the visions. I was needed with Alec.

"I gave three hundred years of dedicated service to the guard. I defended the Volturi from more battles than I can remember. I think that that was enough payment for my life." Alec said, sounding calm and confident.

"So you are going to just leave your sister, the Volturi and the life you have always known, for this girl." he said, pointing an accusing finger at me. Everybody around us was frozen. But I didn't care, I was furious. I wasn't just 'that girl' when he wanted Alec at all costs to mate with me, now was I?

"My sister understands and of course she's welcome to visit and stay with us any time she wants. And I don't  belong to the Volturi, I belong with whoever I choose, and I chose my mate." Alec said, his voice getting a little higher, obviously feeling offended.

"Both of you belong to me. Without me you," he pointed at Alec, "would have been turned to ashes. "and you," this time he pointed at me, "would still be a pathetic lost little girl who faints whenever she gets a vision. You both belong to the Volturi and there will be consequences if you  leave us

Alec hissed in anger, but I laughed bitterly. I looked at him square in the eyes. "Is this what the Volturi has become? Join or die? Don't start a battle with us Aro. You will lose."

He started laughing, though there was obviously nothing funny about the situation. "You threaten me! Your insolence is hysterical. The last time I remember you were a terrible fighter and as much as Alec is a good fighter he won't resist the whole guard."

I smirked knowingly. "This is where you're wrong. A lot has changed." That's when the guys, who had been listening out in case of any problems came to help us out.

Flames erupted from the door behind us and the ground started shaking. The crowd which had gathered around Aro started looking at each other in worry. Even Aro's sure, menacing face fell. From two vampires, our whole coven burs through the door. We didn't look so defenceless anymore.

"Meet our coven, Aro." Alec said. His voice and determined eyes challenged Aro, as I to tell him, "Look how the tables have turned."

"The powers." Aro whispered, mystified.

"What is all this racket?" I heard an intimidating voice ask. Caius and Marcus came. The relatively large reception area now looked so much smaller.

Aro ignored Caius and instead focused on Alec. "Alec, look at was has become of us. The destruction that a battle between us would bring. Is she really worth it? You can have any woman you want. Why would you settle for a little girl? You and all your friends can be saved. You will be welcomed back. She on other hand isn't. She has been trouble since the very first day. She forced you to change, the Volturi would never do that." Aro said, trying to sweet talk his way out of it. Our whole coven hissed at him. How could such a vile man live with himself? How could he even suggest such a thing? Didn't he realise that one can never chose who he loves? Did he not know that love isn't about seeing the perfect person, but it is about seeing that imperfect person perfectly?

I heard Alec utter something, his tone sounding enraged, but I could not hear his words. All I could hear was a foreign wind in my ears, howling and blowing. I felt a slight headache throbbing at the back of my head but I pushed it away, literally.

The wind exploded out of my ears, causing ms tremendous amounts of pain. It felt as if my ear drums had just burst. My body healed quickly and fought away the pain. I felt my hair fly around me like a dark halo. I heard many people shout my name, but I wast aware to what was happening. My sight was a blur, a foggy white blur that felt as if we were in the epicentre of a tornado.

My body acted on it's own, the remote part of my brain -the psychic part- guiding it. I outstretched my arms, governing the winds to spread. I blinked, and in a moment the fog cleared leaving us in a dark place I had never seen before. I looked closely and noticed the multiple tomb stones. I examined the writing, which could be seen clearly in the pale moon light.

Latin.

"What is the meaning of this? Where did you take us, you demonic child?" Caius asked and so did everybody. I had managed to transport everybody in a single vision! I couldn't help the smirk that formed on my lips. Demonic child? A little big of an exaggeration but not the worst thing I've been called. But I was curious myself as to where we were. The psychic in me often had a mind of her own so I didn't know where we were.

"Silence." a voice ordered. Everybody looked at me in awe, only then that made me realise that the powerful voice belonged to me.

A girl who looked just about my age before I died came into view. She was clearly beautiful. She had jet black hair, that was folded in neat rolls and half of it let free in delicate curls which played with the wind. She was holding a bouquet of delicate white roses that matched her pure white gown with trumpet sleeves. Judging by her clothing I'd say that we were in the twelfth century or so.

Everybody held their breath as she passed and kneeled down in front of a tomb stone.

"Didyme!" I heard Marcus whisper in his pained voice. "Is it really you?" he said as he swiftly made his way towards her and tried to touch her. Of course, his hand passed right through her.

"Child, please explain. Why can't I touch her? Where are we?" he asked me, hopeful yet despaired at the same time.

"We're in a vision, a past vision. I thing sometime during the 1100s. Um... if I may ask, who is she?" I asked shyly. As much as I may not have cared for Aro or Caius, I respected Marcus for some reason. He had never wronged me.

"She... she was my mate. But why would you show us th-" he was interrupted when another figure joined us from the left.

"Sister." Aro's voice said in Latin. It wasn't uttered by the Aro in front of me, but by the figure. I put all the pieces together quite easily after that. Didyme was Aro's little sister and also Marcus' mate. Well, this just got a whole lot interesting.

"Aro." she answered nonchalantly.

"What are you doing here?" he asked. Didyme never answered and instead placed the flowers softly on the tomb stone and dipped her head down, losing herself in her prayers.

"It's late, I am sure that Marcus will be waiting for you. Our parents will still be here in the morning-"

"But I will not be. I am leaving with Marcus, I told you." she said sounding exasperated.

Aro fumed in anger. "I cannot believe how selfish you're being. Marcus belongs with us, ruling the Volturi. The power that-"she cut him off.

"Here we go again. Power this, power that. Everything revolves with how much power you have. Marcus and I love each other and we want to get away from Volterra. Your greed for power is poisoning our relationship. It's best if we leave." she said defiantly. She threw a kiss at the tombstone and stood up, ready to walk away.

"I swear, if you leave you will no longer be my sister." he said threateningly. She stood taller and looked at him square in the eyes. "Then so shall be. I did not want to fight you, brother, but I will not give up my mate for something as insignificant as power." she said, storming away. I saw as Aro's face twisted. He lunged at his sister from behind, being the cheap shot he is. He trapped her and caged her with his arms and as much as she struggled she didn't succeed in getting away. "What are you doing? I demand you release me instantly!"

"I didn't want to do this, Didyme. I love you but you forced my hands. I'm truly sorry." In a fast movement, he opened his mouth, exposing his sharp teeth. The last thing I heard was a small scream as I had to look away. I couldn't bare seeing the girl get murdered by her own flesh and blood.

As I flinched away, the fog started dispersing and we were back in the small reception area. I felt weak I the knees and I was about to go down, hadn't it been for Bonnie who was closest to me who caught ms from falling. She passed me to Alec who instantly buried his lips in a small kiss on my forehead and held me tightly in his arms.

"You!" I head a low growl emanate. I looked up weakly, obviously transporting all those people in a vision took a lot of strength. Thankfully, the low growl wasn't directed at me, it was directed at Aro.

"Brother, wait!"

"Do not call me your brother. I cannot believe how stupid I was. It had been almost nine hundred years! I suffered for nine hundred bloody years because of you! How, of all people in the world could you find the courage to kill her? Your own sister!"

"Marcus, please reason with me! She is trying to divide us by showing us deceptive visions. She can twist them all she wants, that's how she made it seem as if I killed her. I could never do such a thing, I loved her."

"I can't and even if I could wouldn't do such a thing. I am just a medium through whom the visions can manifest. I cannot twist them to my pleasure." I defended myself. Though my voice did not sound as powerful as it had in my been in my visions.

"You insolent little demon. I will end you." he shouted at me, making the vampires behind him growl in anticipation for a battle. Alec stepped in front of me protectively and at the same time still held me by my waist.

"If you do as much as hurt a single hair on her, I swear to God that I will enjoy ripping your head." Alec threatened lowly.

It was Jane who broke the tension Alec's threat had created.

"Master, Alec, please! There is no need to battle. Master, allow them to leave, they aren't like us. There would still be several complications."

"But my dear- after all they-"

It was then when Marcus seemed as if he had just reanimated.  He ignored complete his fellow Volturi and walked across the small space dividing the Volturi from us. He walked in front of me and examined me. I felt a little conscious of his stare, he looked as if he was trying to see right through my soul.

"Explain something to me. How could you have known about this?" he asked me in his whispered voice.

"The psychic part of me just knows stuff. When Aro was trying to separate us. It just got me so angry that it woke my inner psychic. It wouldn't let him destroy another couple." I said softly, seeing how delicate the subject was.

"Thank you. I had never thought I would smell that scent again. It's been such a long time. I will never forget it." he said, bowing a little his head in respect. I bowed back, feeling moisture in my eyes. Nine hundred years without the one he loved. It must have been torture.

"But you," he turned to Aro. I have a score to settle with you and it will only end with your demise."

"You know what, Aro. You don't deserve death. Gob deserve to have the thing you love the most taken away from you. And it is not even your mate, it is your power.  You alone are powerless. You depend on your guard."

 He turned to our coven. "If it comes down to fighting I fight with you. If any members of the guard want to join us, do so before it is too late."

Heidi looked at Dimitri and with a nod from him, they walked to our side. Chelsea looked at Afton who seemed on high alert. She pulled at his hand with one last look of disgust at Aro, together they made their way towards us. I smiled at the two couples and they smiled back determinately. Seeing this, more vampires joined us, so in the end we ended up more than the guard.

Jane was left in the middle, she looked at Aro, who was trying to sweet talk the remaining vampires from not leaving him. Then she looked at us, we smiled welcomely at her.

"Jane, I can count on you, right?" Aro asked, now sounding desperate. Everybody's attention fell on Jane.

She kept looking between Alec and Aro, looking completely lost. After a moment of deep thought she shook her head. "You killed your own sister, Mast- Aro. You killed your own flesh and blood, then why would you care about some girl who would have been dust by now." she walked slowly toward us, giving each step special care.

Aro looked at Caius. I gasped as a little vision told me what they were going to do.

"Leave or die." Marcus said. Aro and Caius bowed their heads in defeat. After flashing me and Alec a hateful glare, together with their wives they left for good.

They had lost everything they cared about, their power. And honestly, I pitied them.

Guess that Shakespeare was right after all. All's well that ends well.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++