Chapter 4: Unforgettable Mistakes

The pain was still aching loud and clear but now my throat felt worst of all. It was on fire. I didn't know for how long I had been inside the hole. A long time ago I felt the temperature rising but now I simply didn't feel anything but somehow I realized it was dark outside because the darkness in the hole became... darker; but I still could faintly see my hands gripping the brim of my ruined thorn dress.

I wanted comfort, to hold someone's hands and hear them say 'Don't worry , it's going to be all right. I'm here with you and I won't leave your side,' But that wasn't going to happen. The white guy that had bit me... I couldn't bring myself to call him like I should... at least for now; I'm sure he had no intention to come back for me. But he wasn't human. And I'm afraid that now, after that horrifying episode, I'm not a human any less than he is.

But that's impossible. He's supposed to be a scary creature, invented to scare children. But wait, I was a human and when he bit me something bad started happening to my body, there must have been someone that bit him and somebody else that bit his biter...There were more than just one. The world I used to live in was blind. Now the darkness is my world. I have to live in the shadows. I wanted to cry so hard, but I had completely lost control of my body. I had physically and mentally surrendered myself up to the pain.

I decided to go out when the darkness is thick as possible. I'm an outcast now and I knew it. No denying it. But considering why I took the taxi and didn't have enough money because I had already paid for the useless limo that my friends were courteous enough not to tell me about, which was the reason I got stuck in this mess, I was already an outcast back then.

The pain slowly started diminishing but the burning inside my throat increased. I had to go out. I felt the darkness creeping slowly until it reached my hole. I was a little troubled how I would ever escape from underground. The tree was way too heavy to lift it enough for my petite body to creep under it. I gave it a push, putting all my strength in my hands. Suddenly as my hands made contact with the tree, it flew about ten meters in the air, and landed with an ear splitting thud.

Only then I realized what I had become. I'm a... vampire.

I got up from that hole in a movement that no human eye could ever follow. The world around me was overwhelming. I could see as clearly in the dark as if it was daylight. The night was alive. The sounds were so accurate and my eyes would focus on the tiniest crack they would find in the soil. As usual my dress didn't survive. After every party I went to it would always get stained or ripped. The poor dress was ripped from one shoulder, showing half my bra underneath and the brim was ripped to pieces by my new strong nails.

Well, everything around me changed from the point of view... what about my body. Fortunately, my phone though cracked beyond saving was good enough as a mirror. I was almost afraid to look at myself. What if I turned into some freaky monster, with a mouth full of fangs? I could see it in my head, they would find something that made me weak, like, I don't know....kryptonite for Supermen and would put me in some stand in Las Vegas with a sign, 'See the bloodthirsty vampire for $4.99!'. When I finally made up my mind I was shocked and overwhelmed. In the mirror there was someone, which looked like a familiar stranger. You know, when you see someone walking down the street and you swear you know her from somewhere but you really don't. Well that stranger awfully resembled me. She had my hair which seemed longer and about three shades darker. Her face was like an unearthly version of mine. It was spotless and whiter than mine had ever been. Like chinese porceline. So were her hands and the rest of her body. Then I remembered that I was staring at my reflection and that familiar stranger really was me. It was all beautifully scary but what scared me the most was were those crimson eyes that shone instead of my usual green-blue eyes. I was beautiful. No flaws. Impossible but true. This made me feel good and worse at the same time. I felt good because I probably had the face that an super model would sell her soul for, naturally excluding the spooky red eyes and worse because it was not natural at all, confirming the change in me. Or I could stick with the first theory, that all this was one black dream,