Chapter 1: Towels are Evil

O U T C A S T | P A R T II

Chapter 1: Towels are Evil

 §Jane’s POV §

“Jane!” my brother exclaimed as he reached out and enwrapped me in a bone-crushing hug. “I’ve missed you so much, my princess!” Alec said, his smile reaching from ear to ear. It had been a while since I’d seen him this happy.

“How long has it been?” Sam asked me as she took her turn in hugging me. It felt weird.  A good weird. I hadn’t had this much physical contact in the last twenty years put together.

“Twelve years,” I answered. “So what brings you here, not that I’m not happy but this is the first time you’ve visited us. Is something wrong back in Volterra?” Alec asked, an edge of alarm clear as daylight in his voice.

I shook my head. “No, everything’s alright back home,” I bit my lip as the word ‘home’ escaped my lips. It was going to be very hard to get used to calling this place home. “It’s just that... I was bored. Not much has been going on back home. And I missed you, brother,” I added quickly, “and you too Sam, of course.”

“Finally, some peace in the vampire world.” Sam said with a sigh of relief. “Come on in, Jane. I’m sure you’ve got so much to tell us. Can I offer you something?” she asked me as she opened a large metal cupboard. I looked at her questioningly, until I saw that the huge cupboard, which was emanating coolness, was filled with bottles of red liquid. From the smell, I knew that it was animal blood. It was nowhere near as appealing as the blood of the humans I had passed by earlier in the streets, but I nodded to be polite. I would have to get used to the occasional bottle of piss- I mean animal blood.

Sam placed the blood inside a mug and placed it in yet another strange appliance. She pressed a couple of buttons and the thing suddenly lit up and started spinning around the drink. I looked at the strange contraption in wonder.

“It’s a microwave. It heats things up in mere seconds.” Alec said for my benefit, noticing my clueless expression.

“Huh, perhaps humans aren’t as stupid as I thought.” I wondered out loud. I looked doubtfully at Sam, trying to read her expression after my careless comment. I didn’t know why, but I subconsciously trying to get her approval. Sam and I had never had an easy relationship. We were two opposites and the only thing we had in common was Alec. While she had much more modern while I was more of a conservative girl.  She believed that through peaceful dialogue everything could be resolved, but I was not that patient and sought torture to conclude difficult matters. Our gifts were also opposites. Hers was used to save lives; mine was used to bring people close to the brink of death.

She looked completely impassive though. She must have expected something like that from me.

“Yes, they also found a way to keep things cool,” he said as he pointed at the large cupboard, which was filled with blood. “That’s a fridge.”

I nodded. Alec invited me to sit around their large table while Sam placed the mug of blood in front of me. It smelled nicer now that it was warm.