Chapter Five

Chapter 5:

“They were nice,” he said after we had been silent for a few minutes. “So what else do you need?”

                I pulled out my list. “My books and an owl, and that’s it.”

                “Okay, Flourish and Blotts is right over there,” he said pointing towards the right. “Plus, you should probably get some ink and parchment and a trunk with your initials on it.”

                “Thank you,” I said.

                “For what?” he asked as he went back to staring at his feet.

                “For showing me around and helping me out and everything,” I said. “You don’t even really know me, and yet you are treating me like your best friend.”

                He shrugged. “I guess for some reason, I think of you as my friend even though I don’t know you that well yet. You seem nice enough and you actually talk to me, so as far as I’m concerned you are my friend. Most people don’t even talk to me.”

                “Why?” I asked. “You are so nice to talk too.”

                Esca shrugged again. “I don’t know, and you are the first to think that.”

                We stopped in front of Flourish and Blotts.

                “I’m sure that’s not true, Esca. Fred, George, and Lee seemed to think you were pretty cool. With the frog thing and all,” I said and smile softly.

                “I guess,” he sighed. “Come on let’s get your books before I start spilling my guts to you.” He put his hand on my shoulder and started pulling me towards the store.

                “And why would that be bad?” I laughed.

                “Because I met you a few hours ago,” he sighed as we walked through the door. “You are just so damn easy to talk to, and it’s kind of annoying.”

                “Hey, now watch your language,” I said hardly.

                “Yea, yea,” he said dismissing my words with a wave of his hand. “What books to you need?”

                The store was full of books that were lying all over the place. There were stacks everywhere. It was hard to walk because there was such a narrow area where there was floor. After forty-five minutes of squeezing through people and books we walked out. I had eight new books with me:

1.       Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

2.       A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

3.       Magical Theory by Adalbet Waffling

4.       A Beginners’ Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

5.       One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

6.       Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

7.       Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

8.       The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

“So what kinds of classes are at Hogwarts?” I asked as we headed to the store next door to get parchment, ink, and quills.

“Well,” Esca said taking a deep breath like he was about to say a lot, “there is Charms, Transfiguration, History of Magic, Astronomy, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Potions, Herbology, Care of Magical Creatures, and…hmmm how many was that?”