Chapter Nine

Chapter 9:

                (Elissa P.O.V.)

                “Welcome to Hogwarts,” said the lady. “I am Professor McGonagall. The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room.”

                “Sounds kind of segregating,” Echo whispered in my ear, “Like they want us to not get along with the other houses.”

                I clasp my hand over my mouth to keep from laughing.

                “The four houses,” the professor lady continued, “are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.”

                “Unlikely,” Echo and I whispered together and then smiled at each other.

                “The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school,” the lady said. “I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting. I shall return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly.”

                With that she left.

                “This should be fun,” I said happily placing my hands on my hips.

                Alexia let out a small squeak next to me. “In front of the whole school.” She kept mumbling to herself, biting her nails.

                “How do they sort us into the houses?” a black haired boy near us asked a red haired boy next to him. The red head looked strangely like those twins I saw with Echo.

                “Some sort of test,” the red head replied. “Fred said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking.”

                “I’m sure he was, Ron,” Echo said to him. “He told me he told you that to freak you out.”

                “Well what did they tell you?” The red head, Ron, asked her.

                That confirmed it. Ron must be related to those twins. Brothers I guess, and Echo must be a family friend then.

                “Well when I asked Fred what the real test was,” she said, everyone was now looking at her, desperate to find out what this test was. “He told me that I would have to see. I asked George later and he just smiled at me and walked off.”

                “Figures,” Ron said looking disappointed.

                Whatever this test was it couldn’t be that bad. Plus, if it made me look like a fool in front of everyone imagine what it would make that boy Neville. Surely they wouldn’t make us do magic, after all we were here to learn. The school system would be pretty stupid if that was the case.

                The professor lady returned.

                “Now, form a line,” she said to us, “and follow me.”