Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter 22:

~Ecsa~

                “I’m home,” I yelled as I walked into the living room from the fireplace. The room was dark and gloomy due to the lights not being on and nothing but the setting sun being the source of light in the grand room.

                No one answered my announcement. No one was probably here but the maids and cooks and house-elves and whomever else my dad had to order around. He fought about my returning most likely; after all there was no one there to pick me up from the train so I walked to the Leaky Caldron before taking the fireplace there home.

                Not a surprise though.

                “Master Esca.”

                I looked up to see one of the maids. Teresa. She had been here since I was ten, and she was one of the kinder ones. I was surprised she was able to withstand my father for this about of time. She also knew what we were. The day she found out was a scary day for me, I thought father would make her leave, but he didn’t and didn’t erase her mind, so now we had a muggle maid that knew what I was yet stuck around. I did not know what to think about her.

                “I don’t see you are still here,” I replied. “I don’t understand why a pretty young lady, like yourself sticks around this place when you could easily find a rich man to support you.” It was true, she was very beautiful and at the tender age of twenty-two, she could find a husband.

                She smiled softly at me, her green eyes filling with kindness, her sunny aura pulsing from her. “Thank you, but I do not wish to marry just any man. I love someone and right now we are trying to save for a house so we can after a place to stay after we marry.”

                Her answer shocked me, but I couldn’t help not to return her smile. “Thank is nice to hear, I am glad you found someone.”

                “Thank you, Master Esca.”

                I let out a sigh. “How many times have I told you? To you, I am just Esca.”

                “Well, thank you, Esca. May I help you with your luggage?”

                “Nah, it’s cool, I got it,” I said waving my hand in dismissal of her offer. “I’ll take it to my room.”

                “Can I at least walk you there?” she asked.

                I pretended to think about this for a minute. “Okay, but only if you promise to walk beside me like an equal.”

                Her smiled widened to the point that her eyes almost closed. “Deal."

                “So how was school?”

                “Oh, good.”

                “Did you make any new friends?”

                My mind went to Echo. How was she doing? She seemed so troubled when I last saw her and I still could not get anything on her aura. Even though Miss. Maritime told me not to worry about it, I still did. Something told me, I needed to know what her aura gave off and when she walked away with her head hung and a mix of emotion on her face I knew I needed to watch over her. Something was not right.