Chapter 9, Origins

GuHai had an entire week off from school in mourning.  His UncleGu saw to that.  The difficulty here was that it was so close to graduation.  When he returned to school he would have to make up for the time he'd lost.  He would have to suffer the looks and questions from his classmates,  this in a way would be like re-living his father's passing.  

Moreover, he didn't like being at home alone without his Yin.  Finding ways to keep himself occupied he made a nice dinner each night.  Going to the market every day and getting fresh goods to cook with.  Auntie tried more than once to offer but he insisted he needed to do this.  "It will help pass the time."

UncleBai was touched to see her make so many attempts to help.  Clearly, his wife had become as attached to GuHai as he was himself.  GuHai offered to take Mai during the day while she was at the restaurant.  She felt it would be too much for him to handle but did agree to let him stay for one day and overnight.  GuHai could take him to his regular caretaker the following morning.

It proved to be a great distraction.  They went shopping,  GuHai took him to a boys clothing store and had him measured.  He giggled and had great fun with this,  the tailor telling him,  "Next year we will measure you again and see how much you've grown."  From there he and Mai did the marketing,  had lunch at a small food stand.  

GuHai told him to have "Whatever you want."  

 Mai was thrilled to help GuHai make dinner for big brother Yin.  Standing on a chair beside GuHai in the kitchen,  he learned to peel carrots and how important it is to wash all the vegetables "Very carefully." They worked hard preparing something nice for brother Yin.   Somehow Mai seemed to understand that big brother was still sad.  In his own small way, he strove to make big brother smile.  

At dinner, he was so proud of himself when Big Brother Yin said dinner was delicious and thanked them both for cooking.  GuHai gave him all the credit and rubbing the top of his head telling him that he would be a great cook "Just like your mum." 

After dinner, the three went to the park.  Playing on the swings,  he squealed with delight as GuHai pushed him,  "Higher,   Higher."  In the evening he was allowed to stay awake much later than he would at home.  Sitting with them on the sofa and crunching down a huge bowl of buttery popcorn that GuHai had made.  Of course, this was "Our secret."

He slept between them in their bed,  too young to question why they slept together or the tender kiss and embrace they shared before sleeping

He slept between them in their bed,  too young to question why they slept together or the tender kiss and embrace they shared before sleeping.  He held onto GuHai the entire night,  tucked under his arm his little hand resting on GuHai's chest.

In the morning when big brother Yin was ready for school,  GuHai made them both breakfast and they walked Yin all the way,   before heading to his caretakers.  

When GuHai dropped him off he hugged him tightly almost not wanting to let go,  he told Mai "We will do this again, OK ?" From the glowing smile he received,  nothing would make Mai happier.