Chapter Twenty- Three*

The word of God says None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.

I use to think I was good. Not perfect, by any means. But at least I thought I had some redeeming qualities. I never acted on my impulses, I never had any room for errors, so no room for sin.

  But now I know there is truly none of us that are good. All of us have this evil, crawling, black thing inside of us aching to get out. Aching to be who everyone expects, no matter the case.

That's how I found myself in the back of a government car, destination unclear but life changes guaranteed.

  My father looks over at me, placing a gentle hand on my leg. "This will be good for you", he says, squeezing gently before removing it. "I know this might be hard to accept, or believe. But trust me when I tell you that you'll see it's all for your own good".

I manage a nod, not wanting to entertain him with a reply. Everything he was saying he'd already tried pounding in my head. It got me here, so why wouldn't he continue to try?

I try to keep a level head, looking out the dark window. I was going to do good. I could do good. I could keep myself clear enough to get the job done.

I had to.

  A single tear drops down my cheek and I watch it fall on my dark pants. I'd been changed into a more casual suit. This was to be televised, after all.

"This could be good for us, too. And the country, no doubt. Seeing us work side by side, handling business", he says, pride dripping from his voice. I almost wanted to gag.

This wasn't about some country, or some law. It was about expectation. About putting aside who I thought I was, what I thought I wanted, and receiving another opportunity. Another way.

The country could burn for all I cared.

The car pulls up to a deserted patch of dirt. In front of us was two concrete walls, only still there due to the metal staircase connected to it, going down. "You're sure this is the right place?", he asks to the man holding the door as he gets out.

  The man was decked in military get up, even up to the hat. His skin was the color of coal, his eyes a cold brown. I had to look away, worried for a moment they'd shift to something reptilian, or sinister.

"I have something I need to attend to. Holland will be around to give you the tour and lead you down to the spot", my father says as I step out to join him. I tilt my head a little and he motions to the man closing the door.

Oh good, I'm being sent with general Voldemort.

He leads me down the stair case, which seemed to go on forever and gradually lost all light. Until we got to the bottom, where the light was so bright I had to shield my eyes. "Welcome to the lions den", he says, a small smirk on his lips. 

It was a large room with the cages all taken out. I'd assumed this was an underground area where they sometimes had to relocate bigger animals. Remnants of plans and poster boards were thrown on the floor. The walls were vandalized. All the plans Article1 had made were now crashing down.

  The highlight of the room, however, was the newly equipped with poles and rope. 30 metal poles were placed in a circle, with its own scared gay tied to it by rope.

No one screamed or cried out. If anything, I felt that silence washed over the room once I entered. I could make myself believe it was just because someone had arrived.

  Then I look over, and notice the bright blue eyes I'd come to adore. Gale was tied up on the far corner of the room, and he was glaring holes into my head.