Chapter Six*

The morning is hell, not having slept at all last night. I kept hearing footsteps, like someone could come in at any time. No one ever did, though. So I was probably safe. I pity the man they were speaking of.

    I shower quick, not wanting to do anything over the top with scents. If my father assumed I was there to impress, he'd punish me. I didn't waste time on my appearance either. I put on a simple short sleeve button up red shirt and a pair of jeans. I look at myself in the mirror, letting out a breath. I could do this. I had to do this.

    There's a knock on my door and I open it hastily, revealing a bright Melanie. "Simple and dashing. Points from your father, no doubt", she says, looking me up and down. I was a pet in here. She stops toying with the collar of my shirt and steps back. "Well, come on. Remember to only praise the law, and no talking down about your father. Otherwise, you'll do great". I nodded, following her out of the room, all the while my heart pounded out of my chest.

    The thing about the law is no one knew much about it. Everyone knew the law and feared it. They knew the end result of breaking it, and that's all. No information on the execution, no reason for the law, nothing. And for some reason, everyone was okay with that. Imagine one day you hear "oh yeah, fuck the gays" and then someone agrees, then some politician agrees. Then suddenly it's a law to be gay.

    It was a straight white cic man's world. We were all doomed.

  I walk out of my room with my hands down by my waist and swallow hard as I see my father waiting for me. "Tyler", he smiles, or fakes a smile when I come out. I swallow hard and nod a greeting, not finding my words automatically. "Walk with me, I'll tell you about the plans for today".

   I begin walking with my father down the hall and eventually down the steps. "There are 7 teenagers coming on the tour today. All very intelligent, well respected, young men and women. 5 girls, two boys", he begins. Two boys. Two boys my age, coming here. On their way right now. I was going to faint.

Not in a pre teen girl way, where she just thinks a boy is so cute she's gonna die. But in a way that says "if I just so happen to glance at one of them, my father is going to kill me". I was terrified.

   "I have business to attend to, so you're going to do the tour with Addison. I'm putting my entire trust in you, Tyler", he says, stopping his foot falls and turning to me, looking me up and down. "Do not fail me".

    His expression was hard and unreadable. If I looked close enough, I could see the bit of bubbling fear. It didn't make sense to me why he was still afraid of what could happen, but willing to let it happen anyway.

   I swallow hard and nod. "Where are you going?", I ask quietly, afraid that he'd see how nervous I was. He did, noting the tone of my voice and demanding I speak up. I do, and his hard look becomes a smirk. Whatever his plans were, he intended to enjoy them.

    "I'm going to take care of something. Someone broke the law and they have to be punished", he says, looking away from me then. A stone feels like it hits the bottom of my stomach, but I nod. I understood.

   My father walks me to the main room, with ceilings high and the Christmas decorations in full swing. Addison approaches us, wearing a blue suit and a red collar. "Well if it isn't two of Americas saviors", he grins.

Addison was the Vice President, and sometimes I hated him more than my father. He was loud, arrogant. He was in everyone's business and assumed everyone was interested in his opinion. No one was.

    "Addison", my father greets, nodding to him. "Make sure that Tyler here keeps professional and respectable. I don't want to see anything out of line. I don't want to hear about anything. You're in charge of him". They exchange a look and I ball my fists up at my sides. They had a secret plan, one that I was apparently involved in.

    Addison and I follow my father out to the car where he goes over our plans for the day, for the millionth time. We are only to be your guides and mouths for my fathers work. Nothing more. It was purely and strictly business and fun and games had no part in it. Especially when so much was at stake. He looked at me when he said the last part.

He eases into the car, looking back at us one more time before closing the door. He looks right at me, his mouth slightly open as if he wants to say something, what he does say shocks me enough to where my hands unleash the fists they'd made. "Please", he whispers".

I knew what he meant. He knew how hard this would be for me, but he was allowing it to happen anyway. He trusted me enough to let it happen. Or maybe he knew my fear would outweigh any desire I could ever have.

Either way, I was fucked.