Chapter 21: Next Time

I watch them come out her house hand in hand. Anger consumes me...she did not understand what stay away from him meant.

I watch him press her against the car and press a kiss against her lips, I imagine it was me. I can almost feel his arms sliding down my back. It should be me. It will be me. Once I get rid of her.

That slut just has to realize he won't always be around to protect her.

***

I almost fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. I squirm around in my sheets trying to find if Tom left some warmth behind. I hear the window of my room slide open and I sit up. My window is wide open, the curtains floating in the wind and I look around.

''Tom?'' I ask. Fear crawls up my spine and I open up my drawer looking for the scissors I always keep there. If it's a robber or something I at least don't want to go down without a fight.

I see a shadow grow within the faint light and notice that the person is wearing black jeans, a black hoodie and a black thingy on their face.

''Please, don't hurt me. Take anything you want, just don't hurt me.'' I tuck the scissors under my pillow as the shadow gets closer.

''I want one thing...and he's not in this house.'' The person says.

''He?'' Who could it be...Tobias? My dad? Then everything snaps together. The letters...she is the person leaving them. She wants Tom!

''You are the girl leaving the notes and stuff.....you are a girl right?'' I ask.

''Of course I'm a girl you slut.'' She says. ''Tom doesn't love you as much as you think. You're just a little girl who's really confused, what could be so special about you? Stay away from him.''

''Why?'' I ask.

''You don't seem to be getting the message Ciara. He. Is. Mine.'' I find her hands around my neck cutting off all the air. I start to claw at the darkness but she only leans in to my ear and whispers, ''This is just a warning, next time you won't be so lucky.''

I try to gasp but her fingers dig into my skin and I moan in pain. ''You think that hurts? If you keep seeing him, I will show you what real pain is.''

I grab the scissors from under my pillow and slash them across her arm. She lets go of my throat and I kick her across my room. I grab my phone but she's out the window before I even dial the 9. I start to choke as the air starts to go into my soar throat.

I turn on the lights of my room and check myself int he mirror. There are red marks and bruises are starting to show up where her fingers were. Apart from that there isn't much damage left. I am shaking and trembling but I get back in my bed. I close my eyes but I can't go back to sleep.

***

''What is that?'' Tobias asks.

''What?'' I ask him. I have to study for a big Calculus test tomorrow and I am not understanding squat so far.

''Are those bruises?'' He asks standing up from my carpet and walking towards me. I automatically pull the neck of my sweater up.

''It's nothing.'' I mutter.

''It is something Sia. Who did this to you?'' He asks. ''It couldn't have been....''

''No Tobias, Tom didn't do this to me. He never could.''

''So who did this?''

''I couldn't see her.'' I tell him. ''It was dark and it was late, don't worry.''

''So you don't know who it was?'' He asks and I shake my head. ''Why didn't you say anything? When did this happen?''

''Last night and I didn't want to tell you because you'd get all worked up and you would ask who did it and I wouldn't have an answer and you'd get angry at me for not telling you.'' I snap at him.

''I'm just worried about you.'' He says in a sad tone. I look at him and stick out my tongue making him smile.

''You don't have to protect me.''

He smiles wider, ''I know.''

I smile back but I have to admit that last night scared me. Who is that girl? She is obviously angry that Tom and I are dating...or jealous of what Tom and I are doing. At first I thought she was just pathetic and ridiculous but now I know that she's crazy. She could've killed me. What would've happened if I didn't have the scissors? Well, there's no way I'm leaving Tom because some weirdo tells me to.

I shake my head trying to clear those thoughts away but I faintly hear her voice saying over and over, ''This is just a warning, next time you won't be so lucky.''