Chapter 2: Welcome Home...not

***

I was discharged from the hospital a week later. My mom says that I was in an accident but never mentions what type of accident.

I'm worried about the hospital bill, because apparently I was in a two-month coma. Mom says that I shouldn't worry about it because all the bills were already paid.

My house is as small as always but I notice that they have re-decorated all of it, making it look very...uh, fancy. It's one of the few things I was lucky to remember. I remember everything except memories I shared with my family. I know I have a brother, Tobias, and a sister, Jazmine. I know my dad, Jeremy, is away fighting in the army. The thing is, I don't remember sharing a bed with Jaz as little kids or fighting with pillows with Tobias. Mom tells me all these memories but they only go far back until a few weeks before the accident. Specifically three weeks before. When all the family, including dad, went to the beach. It's the one family memory that I remember so it's the one I like the best.

The doctor says it's called selective amnesia or some crap like that. I don't have any recollection of the accident, which supports the docotr's theory.

"Sia." Mom stops me before I can go upstairs. My name is Ciara Hamilton, but everyone calls me "Sia" because it's shorter. "You should know that Jazmine has had a record of depression. It came back the day of your accident, and then her boyfriend of three years dumped her so...she will be different. Just, don't push her please."

I nod. Seems like I brought back the depression in her mind. I sigh and start walking around the house. It turns out my leg is not broken but I need to have it inside this huge black boot. The good news is at least I don't have to wear crutches, since it would've been impossible because of my arm that is in a cast. I limp/walk upstairs and into my room. It's all the same. Huh, a re-decoration wouldn't have been bad but whatever.

"Sia?" I hear my brother come out of his room. One second later he's in my room, hugging me. I hug him back tightly.

"Hey Tobias." I answer. He pulls back and looks at my leg, then at my arm.

"How do you feel?" He asks. He doesn't look like he's seventeen, he looks older...just like me. He has jet-black hair, brown eyes and pale skin that he got from dad.

''I'm okay." I lie. The truth is I am not okay. Knowing who my family is, but not having a clue of who they really are is frustrating. For example, I can't remember Tobia's favorite color or if he has a happy temperament. I am such a bad sister. I am not even his sister. We are just related by blood now, ever since that accident, because all our memories have faded away.

''I missed you.'' He tells me quietly. I don't know how to answer because I've forgotten how to comfort him. I hug him again since it's the only thing that seems logical to do now. He hugs me back and I feel incredibly guilty when I don't feel anything when I hug him.

"Sia, these came for you." Mom says as she comes up the stairs. She appears with a huge pile of the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen.

"Who is it from?" I ask gasping when she hands me the flowers. They smell delicious, it matches their appearance.

"It doesn't say but it has the address on the card." She says before leaving. I tell Tobias that I will go out for a while to clear my head. But actually, I'm going to go the address and thanking the person who sent the flowers because they look really expensive. It's the least I can do.

I find my liscence and keys in a jar downstairs and jump into my little smart car. I like it. It's tidy and small.

As I drive towards the address I start to feel guilty and as lonely as ever. I feel like I just went home to a bunch of strangers to interrupt their lives. I sigh as tears prickle into my eyes. I try to remember anything but there's nothing there. I can't even remember being in the coma. It's like I just woke up one day and started living again. Except at the same time I still feel dead.