Flashback

-cue flashback music-

Gemini is 12

"Mama?" I walked around in the ashes of what used to be my home. I looked for my mother but all I could see was black smoke and ash in front of me. I coughed as I continued to look for her. I kept walking until I heard a grinding crack under my shoe.

I looked down and screamed, I had stepped on the arm of a charred body. The hair was reduced to almost nothing but I saw the body wearing a silver hairpin on the tarnished clothes. This was my mother. I choked on my sobs and then gagged at the smell of smoke and burning bodies.

I heard mumbles approaching me. At first I was scared but then I figured I had nothing more to lose. "Are you ok dear?" A gentle voice put a hand on my shoulder. I looked up at the face with teary eyes and slowly nodded. "Oh, look at your poor ash covered  face, have your parents died?" She flat out asked.

I nodded, unable to speak without bawling. "Come, let's get you cleaned up dear, you're not the only one that survived." She lifted me up by the arm and then held my hand as she walked be out. I looked back at my mother's fallen body and then at the silver hairpin I had attached to my shirt collar.

She brought me to a group of children around the same age as me, sniffling and crying about their lost ones

She brought me to a group of children around the same age as me, sniffling and crying about their lost ones. "What is your name dear?" She smiled her sweet aged face at me. "G-Gemini." I stuttered. "What a nice name." She smiled.

"You all will be taken to my orphanage." She took a damp cloth and gently scrubbed my face to get rid of the black soot. "What a pretty face hiding beneath all that dirt." She said after cleaning my face. I blinked and nodded, to tired to say anything back.

"Follow me children." She walked in front of the group as we followed her. "Ooo what's that you got there?" A bright smiled girl asked me, pointing to the pin. "It was my mother's pin." I said. "Oh, it's so pretty!" She admired it. I was shocked she was so calm about the whole situation.

"But it would look even prettier in your hair." She smiled. "Really?" I twiddled my fingers nervously. "Uh huh!" She said goofily. "I have to wash it first...then you can put it on me." I negotiated. "Deal!" She yelled.

"Alright we are here darlings." All the nicknames she called us made me somewhat annoyed. She unlocked the dark brown door and walked us into the the orphanage. There were other children screaming loudly, giggling, and jumping around.

"Your beds are upstairs." She pointed and then left to what seemed to be the kitchen. I immediately went upstairs and into the bathroom. I slid the pin off and ran it under some water. "Cleaning it?" The girl from before popped in. "Yep." I said while scrubbing it everywhere, wanting for it to regain its shine.

I squirted some soap on my fingers and lathered it. "Oh be careful, don't want it to-." she was cut off as the pin slipped between my fingers. I gasped, preparing myself for it to go down the drain, the one piece of my mother, gone. The girl quickly stuck her hand over the drain, preventing the pin from going in.