New To This

(King)

Monica

The sun shined brightly through the blue curtains that hung in front of the window. The smell of hot pancakes and crispy bacon filled my nose.

"Mmm." I said.

My bare feet hit the cold floor as I stepped out of bed. I opened my bedroom door and proceeded downstairs.

As I walked into the kitchen I saw Sheri and Nick.

"Morning." I said and smiled.

"Good Morning hunny. Bacon is in the oven and pancakes are on the stove. Orange juice and apple juice are in the fridge." Sheri said.

I nodded and grabbed a plate.

"You ready for school tomorrow?" Nick asked me as I sat down at the table.

"School?" I said looking up at him.

"I hope you didn't think that you weren't gonna' go to school." Sheri said.

"I didn't think I would go as soon as I got here though."

Sheri laughed. "Well you start tomorrow, bright ad early."

I nodded and chewed up some bacon that I had put into my mouth.

King walked downstairs with his jacket on.

"I'm bout' tired of you and that damn jacket King." Sheri said.

"Ma I'm freezing." King said.

"It may be cool outside considering it's in the middle of January but it ain't cold in this house!" She fussed at King.

It was obvious that Sheri didn't know about his new tattoos. King was using the jacket as protection from an ass whooping.

King sat down at the table.

"Morning." I spoke to him as I poured maple syrup on my pancakes.

He looked at me then looked away. Okay... he's not a morning person.

"After y'all eat breakfast get dressed we're going to the mall." Sheri told us.

"Good because I need some new clothes." Nick said.

"We're not going for you fool. We're going for Mo."

"Man dang." Nick said.

I laughed a little at how goofy he was.

"Nah I ain't going to the mall." King said cutting up his pancakes.

"Yes the hell you are." Sheri said putting her plate in the sink.

King sighed. "I have some stuff to do."

"Whatever you have to do it can wait."

"But-"

Sheri cut him off. "Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes ma'am." King said annoyed.

King seemed so stubborn and always looked like he hated the world. I haven't even seen him smile not once since I been here. Well I only been here for a day, but still he should smile sometimes.

After eating the breakfast I went stairs and picked out a outfit. I put on a long sleeve shirt that a hole in the back and some jeans that were way to small for me. I threw on some dirty sneakers and walked out of my room.

"Oooo. Chile' we have to do something about this hair." Sheri said.

"Yea I know." I said.

"Tell you what, after we finish shopping imma' make you a hair appointment. Sound good?"