Chapter Twenty-One

Ivory

I awake from what I recall to be a dreamless sleep. No nightmare that I can remember. The pads of my fingertips brush my cheeks, but they return dry. No tears either. I must've had a dreamless sleep. The only peaceful night in a month. Although my dreaming mind is slowly clearing, I am still confused as to where I am and what I've done. Registering the feeling of a heavy weight across my stomach, my body tenses, and my eyes cautiously scan my surrounding. Finding the weight on my stomach, I trail my wide eyes over what I take as an arm, a man's arm. My eyes grow to the size of saucers when they are met with toned, bare muscles. As my softball sized orbs land on the face of my company, all the memories of last night overwhelm me. Oh gosh! What have I done! The arm tugs me closer to his chest, snuggling me closer in his dreams. When my body is pulled closer, I am reminded of the activities that were held in the hours of the night. Our passionate throes and screams of ecstasy relayed the whole night until I collapsed in the safety of his arms. Oh gosh! What have I done!

Sensing I am awake, Hunter stirs beside me. His indigo eyes flutter open, and a satisfied, lazy grin that shows his ease stretches his lips. He lightly kisses my lips, greeting me in the best way possible. He pulls away with the same expression, but I only frown. Tidal waves of guilt greater than a tsunami flood my conscious. What have I done! I shouldn't have done this! My face fills with dismay, and I sheepishly direct my eyes away from Hunter's fallen face, but my vision is forced back up. Gingerly, he lifts my chin to where my eyes have no choice but to stare at his compassionate ones.

"Princess, what's wrong?" his tone is tender and caring, trying to coax me out of my shell.

Knowing I shouldn't have showed my guilt, I hastily replace my grimace with a reassuring smile and shake my head. "Nothing," I reply, and to fully convince him, I return the kiss.

Although Hunter knows better than to believe I am okay, he leaves the subject alone for now. In one swift movement, he flips me onto my back, so he is towering over me. His sweet scent of pine engulfs me. Nervously, I bite my bottom lip in anticipation. As he ravishes my neck with soft butterfly kisses, he vehemently growls, "If you keep biting your lip, I'm going to have to keep you in this bed for days." His promise erupts sensational tingles throughout my body. I guide his lips back up to connect with mine again.

"Hunter, we have a venue to check today," I gently remind him. Indifferently, he continues to press kisses down my neck. With a mumble of protest, he wanders down to the curve of my breasts. "I'm going to win this bet, so you better get your ass up and get ready to see a venue," I order. After pressing another kiss to my lips, he reluctantly climbs off me. "Where's your bathroom?" I ask as I stand up with the bed sheet wrapped around my body. I follow Hunter to a door opposite the window. He opens it for me, stepping aside to let me enter. Before I fully pass him, I let the sheet pile on the floor. With a flirty wink, I disappear into the bathroom but not before I feel a hand slap my bottom, adding a hop in my step.

When I step out of the comforting water, I wind the white, cotton towel around myself before padding out to the bedroom. Finding my clothes from last night, I put them back on. Without Hunter to take the guilt away, I let my smile falter. What have I done! This marriage is nothing! It's a dang bet for crying out loud! It's not like I wanted this! It's just a little fun! No harm out of it! But I shouldn't have done that. There's no way I'm getting out with my heart still in tact, but what if this all isn't just a bet anymore? What if it wasn't to begin with?

"Princess, you ready?" Hunter calls from another room. With unbelievable ease, I replace my guilty frown with a gleeful smile. I waltz out into the living room where he sits. I'm going to win this bet even if it kills me!

"Hey babe," I greet him with a tempting kiss. Before he can drag me back in, I saunter away to the front door. "Let's go, I have a wedding to plan," I announce.