Chapter Nine

Hunter

I watch with a triumphant, seducing grin on my face as Ivory gapes at my expression, trying to decipher my lingering words. Her disbelief plays across her features while I lean closer to her body. Her heat radiates off her body, and it warms mine, pulling me in deeper. Teasingly, my lips hover over hers, and my hot breath fans her milky white skin. Her pink tongue peeks through her edible lips, and they flick against the surface of her lips, wetting them. 

"I am not a prize to be won," she strives to keep her voice at a steady level, but it falters as she repeats her statement, "nor can you win me."

I inch closer to her, and the narrow space of air between our lips becomes microscopic. Ivory visibly shivers as my lips stoke hers as I susurrate, "I take that as a bet."

It takes at least fifteen seconds for Ivory to compose herself enough to muster a response, "Then you are not understanding me."

Her confident remark entertains me, and leaves me with a small grin enriching my face. "Ivory, you will be mine; I am sure of it," I state with such certainty in my tone.

Ivory

My voice switches from quivering and wavering to bold and captivating in a matter of seconds as I speak against his enticing lips. "And what makes you suspect that?" 

I'm taken aback at the hue in his mesmerizing orbs. There not as I guessed. Instead, a navy blue shade fills his eyes, not a gray. Not only is the color fascinating, but the small spark of emotion in his eyes are spellbinding. A minuscule, unidentifiable feeling dances in his beautiful eyes, and my curiosity pulls me closer; it makes me want more. A blast of electrifying energy courses through ever single one of my veins, and I sigh against his velvet lips as mine finally meet his tasteful ones. When I pull away moments later he stares at me with wonder and allurement in his captivating eyes.

"Because you did that," he answers with slightly labored breaths.

I run my hand thoughtlessly through his delicate, midnight hair. I revel in his scent on my skin, and his taste on my lips. "We might as well get that bet finalized because we all know you wouldn't be able to stand being without me," I taunt playfully in a tempting tone. 

Hunter maneuvers his mouth beside my ear, only inches away. His warm, minty breath fans against my ear as he repeats me question in a low growl, "What makes you suspect that?"

I let a quiet, joking laugh escape my parted lips, causing Hunter to stare at me with pure fascination in his eyes. I am the reason for it. For a minute he gazes silently at me, and Hunter begins to worry me. My frail hand reaches to faintly graze my cheek as if checking for an obscure flaw.

"What's wrong?" I inquire with concern dripping from each word.

Hunter vaguely shakes his head dismissively. "You're just so beautiful," he answers in amazement. 

I let my eyes momentarily flutter closed, willing the memories to leave me be, but they are sure to come. He obviously notices my irritation because he speaks up again.

"Darling, what's wrong?" he has genuine sincerity in his question, but it's his choice of nickname that allows the memories to flow back. 

I turn away from him, afraid of what he'll say if he witnesses the ghost-like quality of my features. My freezing, trembling fingers grasp my wine glass, and my whole body slightly trembles as the rim reaches my lips. A powerful, involuntary gasp runs from my lips as his sly, manipulative face appears in my mind. Violet liquid colors my white blouse, and the beverage sploshes out of the cup into the air as it plummets to my feet. A piercing, deafening crash fills the tense air as the glass splits into shards on the hard wooden floor. The boom shakes me from my trance, causing me to stare at the mess I've created. My tear filled eyes finally meet his.