Chapter Seventeen

Ivory

Contemplating the gown, I run the pads of my fingertips over the silk tulle. I admonish myself of who I am impressing as my scrutinizing eyes graze over my appearance. The bodice of the dress clings to my top, accentuating my curves. As your eyes travel lower, the dress becomes wider and more pliant. Stretching across the floor, a long train ends the dress. I turn to my mother who is standing beside the pedestal I'm displayed on. Soft, nurturing eyes meet mine, and she understands my dilemma.

"The dress is beautiful, but not for me," I tell her. It is true. The dress is stunning, but I don't feel stunning. She nods with knowledge of what I am thinking, and she leads me off the pedestal to the dressing room. The employee follows closely behind.

While I am transitioning into another flawless wedding gown, the door cracks open, and in pops Hunter. Frantically, I shoo him out, but he only chuckles at my attempt. "Babe, I have to get back to work. A problem arose," he informs me with unreadable, mesmerizing eyes.

Although my heart drops to my stomach, I nod with understanding. "Okay, I'm going to head home afterwards," I reply, my voice steady, not disclosing my emotions.

Hunter frowns, not approving of my plans, but he soon replaces it with a small smile. "Okay, I'll stop by after work," he assures.

I shake my head no. "I'll be planning the guest list and working on the plans," I notify. If Hunter visits, I won't get a single thing done.

"Fine," he caves. "I gotta' go," he says before slipping out of the room.

After a line of unappealing gowns, I am slipped into another delicate dress. Not wanting to disappoint myself more, I remind myself mentally that this may not be the perfect dress. I am led out to the pedestal, blindly trailing behind my mother. Pure astonishment overcomes me when I open my anxious eyes, but it is soon replaced with genuine bliss. The ivory bodice begins at my bosom and grips my chest to my stomach. At my waist, the fabric poofs out into a princess' ballgown. An aura of elegance and grace engulfs me as I fill the wonderful dress.

"Ivory, you look gorgeous," Mom compliments me with a tender smile.

"This is it," I tell her, absentmindedly feeling the texture of the attire. I gaze in awe at the reflection of me. The brilliant gown is the one. The dress. "I want this one," I whisper, sure of myself. I feel indestructible... beautiful. Mother nods and turns to the employee.

"We will be buying this one," she reports.

After the trade of money for a magnificent gown, Mom and I head home. We comfortably ride in silence all the ride home. When we arrive, I brew a pot of tea, and I gather my notepad and pen. Heaving a loud sigh, I plop down on the couch beside Mom.

"I don't even know who he wants at the wedding!" I exclaim exasperatedly. I was wrong when I said I didn't need him here. How am I going to form a list if I have no clue who he wants there?

"Start with the basics. You know he'll want his mom and dad at the wedding. Who else do you know? What about your side?" Mom guides me along with prompting questions.

I scribble down his mom and dad and Mom's name. Janice and Chad are added to the list, but then I am stumped. "There's truly no one I would think of to invite, except for Janice, Chad, and you, Mom," I confess, aggravated.

"Just call him. He'll tell you what who to invite," she recommends.

I nod before standing up to find my phone. "Hunter, come by after work to discuss the guest list," I order after he answers.

I can sense his victorious smirk through the phone. "Okay, but just because you asked so nicely," he replies, each word dripping with sarcasm.

I scold myself mentally once I realize the dark blush filling my cheeks. "Oh hush, and stop by," I tell him. His laugh floats through the receiver.