Chapter Ten

Ivory

Helga's eyebrows furrow in concentration as I explain my intricate dilemma to her. With every word I utter her curiosity peaks. Her whole body leans closer to me, desperately wanting all the gossip. 

"You see, I don't know what to do. I can't just leave Mother by herself at the house where she is vulnerable and alone, but Hunter is already forming the contract. I can't possibly marry him though. Marriage isn't just a friendly wager, but that's all we are having. He just needs a wife, and that's all I am going to be. Why is he so persistent though? I tell him no, but he just comes back the next minute. And you know what's worse? He's my boss, and we can't be married if he is my boss, so he demanded I quit. I can't just quit, can I? What can I do?" I ramble on endlessly until the caring woman holds her palm up to silence me.

"Ivory Fleming, what have you gotten yourself into?" she mutters with a shake of her head. "I remember you telling me that you swore off boys, what happened to that? You said that all men are the same, egotistical, manipulative, and despicable. Do you recall that? You need to think this through. You can't just randomly marry a stranger. What has your mother said?" Helga asks, but she only receives a sheepish grin. "You haven't told her!" 

I hold my hands up defensively, "I am planning on it! I haven't had the time."

Helga clicks her tongue and shakes her head disapprovingly. "What am I going to do with you," she mumbles under her breath.

I glance at my bright screen on my phone, puzzled. An unknown number flashes across the screen. Helga nosily stares at me as I debate whether or not to answer.

"Hello?" I answer while holding the phone up to my ear.

A strong, familiar voice sounds from the other side of the line, "Hello, Miss Ivory."

I hold back the gasp when I notice the caller's voice. "Mr.Richardson, how do you have my cellphone number?" I ask, struggling to sound as normal as possible.

Helga's eyes widen to the size of golf balls, but I silence her upcoming question with my index finger. "I have your work file," he dismisses casually. "Can you stop by my office on your way home from the cafe? I have something for you."

I exasperatedly breath slowly out of my nose, remembering the deal. "Yes sir. I'll try to be there as soon as I can," I answer with a certain calmness in my voice.

"Hurry. I have somewhere to be afterwards," he barks.

"Yes sir. I'll be there as soon as I can," I repeat, trying to stay patient.

"Hurry," he warns, and then he ends the call without a single goodbye.

I breathe deeply through my nose, fuming. One minute he is nice and polite, and the next he is as cold as Alaska.

"If I'm not mistaken, that was Hunter," Helga comments after I calm down a bit.

I nod my head, and gather my purse and things as I answer, "Yes, and I have to go now because he needs me at work, and I am still an employee, so..."

Helga calls after me, "Be careful, Ives."

I knock on his office door impatiently. Taking his sweet time, Hunter strolls to the door and unlocks, but he doesn't bother to open it. I calmly sit down in the seat across from his, and patiently wait for him to talk. He slides a packet off papers towards me, and I curiously take them and browse through them.

"On September 13th, 2013, Ivory Lyn Fleming, daughter of Mark and Helen Fleming, will be legally bound with Hunter Scott Richardson, son of Scott Richardson and Mary Richardson. For a total of exactly six months the marriage will continue. Ivory Lyn Fleming must listen and cooperate with Hunter Scott Richardson. They will reside together at Hunter Scott Richardson's home. Ivory Lyn Fleming isn't permitted to speak against Hunter Scott Richardson. Ivory Lyn Richardson must oblige to Hunter Scott Richardson's needs and wants. Hunter Scott Richardson doesn't have the right to force Ivory Lyn Fleming into any sexual relations. Ivory Lyn Fleming is not permitted to break any of these stated rules, or a fine of one billion dollars will be paid," the fine print reads.