Chapter Five

Hunter

Ivory sways her hips unintentionally as she walks, setting me in a trance. As she leads me upstairs, we stop a few times on the way, so she can check in on a few employees. Her tone went from casual to professional in a few seconds, and her posture never faltered. 

"Sorry that we took so long, I had a few matters to attend to," Ivory apologizes to her old boss.

"It's fine, Ivory, please sit down," Mike tells us.

I watch her cross her toned legs at the ankles, and try not to smirk at the way she holds herself. She throws me a questioning glance, confused as to why I was staring. I dismissively shake my head, and she brushes it off and returns her attention to Mike. 

"Ivory, I don't know if Hunter informed you, but today Hunter will be the owner of the Clarion, and your new boss. Last week we signed a contract with Richardson Lodgings, and they hope to expand the Clarion. As of today Richardson Lodgings owns the Clarion, understand," Mike tells her. 

A second of shock plays across her beautiful face, but she quickly composes herself. "Yes sir, so you will no longer be at the Clarion?"

Mike nods, "I am retiring, so you will now be receiving orders from Mr.Richardson."

She doesn't pay me any attention as she asks with genuine concern, "Sir, why was I not told earlier?"

"Ivory, please do not question my motives. This is final, understand?" he sternly orders.

"Yes sir," she replies with an evident frown. 

Satisfied, Mike turns to me, "I will be gone by noon, just let me gather my belongings and show you a few things, and then I'll be gone."

I nod approvingly.

"Ivory, when you make your rounds today, warn everyone of my retirement," Mike commands.

"Yes sir," she obediently responds.

Ivory and I stand when Mike stands. She stands straight and tall, never slouching even for a millisecond. 

"Now, Hunter, come with me, and I'll show you a few insurance things," Mike ushers us to his door. 

I follow him, and Ivory saunters the other way, looking dignified.

Ivory

My mind is utterly frazzled, but my body shows no sign of confusion or chaos as I stride down the main hall. I’ve already informed the front desk and the activity center about the drastic change, and I’m sure the news is already travelling around the hotel by now. A few employees claimed they knew Mr.Richardson was taking over, but apparently they didn’t. The brunette at the front desk announced that no articles or websites announced the information, so the public couldn’t possibly know about the happenings in Richardson Lodgings. At least I don’t have to deal with the media arriving.

When I enter the kitchen Chad greets me as he always does, with a boyish grin and a hug that squeezes the breath out of me. I straighten my skirt when he lets me go, and throw him a look, aiming to make him guilty.

“Sorry,” he sheepishly apologizes, but his mood quickly picks up. “Did you here about the deal with Richardson Lodgings?” he asks gleefully.

“That was exactly why I came down here. Mike is retiring,” I confess with a sorrowful sigh.

Chad frowns, upset at the information I bring. “But he’s honestly not that old, and he loves his job,” he protests. 

“I know, but when his mind is made there’s no swaying him either way, so I guess we’re stuck,” I conclude with a slight shake of my head. “It’s a shame. Mr.Richardson isn’t the first boss I want,” I mutter more to myself than Chad.