Chapter Sixteen

Ivory

"Where are you going?" Mom asks with endearment and sorrow both laced in her words. Where exactly, I don't know. I don't even truly want to see him at this moment, but my intuition is driving me. I don't want to work today, see everyone, interact with everyone. Not today. Not after what I just saw.

Continuing to busy myself with grabbing my things, I answer without looking at her, "I have to see him. Tell him. I have to." My words are quiet, unsure, as if I'm doubting myself before I even begin the task. Without turning around, I can feel her suspicious eyes narrowing at me.

"Ivory, are you telling me or yourself? You don't seem so sure about this," she asseverates sullenly.

Turning around to her, I snap, "I'm sure, okay? Just quit questioning me!" My eyes soften regretfully as she adverts her eyes from mine. "Mom, that's not what I meant. I'm sorry. I am just so shaken. I just... could you just... give me a minute?"

Mother's eyes knowingly nod, and she lets me leave the house without another word. Needing the fresh air, I decide to walk the block or two to the hotel. A pool of tears is tearing down its barricade that I am struggling to maintain. Slowly, my demeanor falls. As I near the building, I gulp down my trembling fear, not willing for others to see my breakdown. Not bothering to acknowledge anyone else, I hurry to the elevator. When the doors open on his floor, I scurry out and down the hall to his office. Without knocking, I fling open his door, and storm in.

"I want out," I announce.

Hunter stares up at me from his computer screen where he is typing rapidly. I wait apprehensively for him to say something... anything. His eyes darken, and he stands up intimidatingly. After running his eyes over my body, he breaks the silence. "Excuse me?" his voice is challenging, daring me to disobey him.

"I want out," I repeat, a bit more unsure of myself.

"Of what?" he inquires, taking a step forward.

"Of this," I answer gesturing around us. "I want the bet called off. I want out."

His eyebrows furrow, and his eyes turn to a dark slate. He is dangerously angry, but he's controlling it. "And why is that?" he asks, his voice eerily calm.

"I-I can't take it anymore," I stutter nervously, wringing my hands. "I want it to end."

Another step closer. "There's nothing I can do. You're mine now. All mine," he whispers, his voice lustful.

"I can't take the accusations. I can't have the business suffer. I can't do this. You deserve more," I say, hopeful that this will end.

The lust that filled his eyes is replaced with angst. My shoulders tremble, and my hands quake. "I want you and only you. I need you and only you. I plan on getting what I want, what I need," he promises before crushing his lips on mine. It doesn't take long until my body responds to his touch. My lips ferociously kiss him back, and my hands travel through his hair to rest by his neck. As soon as I respond, he pulls back. My hope plummets downward. With an assertive voice, he demands, "Ivory, don't ever talk yourself down, especially in my presence."

The memories of this morning return, pulling me deeper into Hell. "Why shouldn't I? There isn't anything special! You didn't seem to think so!" I shout, my volume rising with my fury.

"What makes you believe that? If I thought you weren't special, then why would I make love to you? Why would I start this damn bet?" he rages on, his voice competing with mine.

"You left me like I'm another one of your one night stands. This damn bet is stupid, and I want out!" I fume.

"I'm sorry, Princess, but you can't simply get out," he dictates. "I won't let you leave me that easily." His words send a ripple of shivers down my spine. It takes all my will power not to throw my arms around him.