Chapter Eleven

Ivory

"Miss Fleming, you are needed in the day care center," the employee at the front desk notifies me of the request to see me.

"I'm on my way," I answer before making my way towards the day care.

Although I am relieved to be granted a reason to abandon my pile of paperwork at my desk, I don't wish to stay with Janice long, because I am positive I know where our conversation will lead to. With a confident demeanor and proud strides, I sashay to the room at the end of the main floor's hallway. Outside of the closed room, the bystanders hear nothing, but the windows provide a small space that's transparent. However, once inside havoc reigns lose and free. Even at a small age it's as if groups are forming. A group of six or so girls of the age of 7 to 9 are calmly playing on the side furthest away from the door; most of them are cradling baby dolls like caring mothers. A pair of twins rambunctiously terrorize the toy section, and high pitched squeals fill the room. A few older boys drive match box cars around the carpet. The boys pester a few girls by zooming the wheels up their arms and through their doll house. One specific boy cries by his mother, desperately wanting something.

"Landon," I greet warmly as I approach, aiming to distract him from the reason he is sobbing dramatically. As I bend down for a hug, he totters over, and he gives me a great bear hug. After he pulls away, I hold him arms length away, and I furrow my eyebrows at him curiously. "What's wrong?"

The toddler sniffles and pouts his bottom lip. "I wanna come... come... and see you... at work," he cries, "and I wanna help you, but Mommy won't... let me!" Between almost every other word he gasps for air and lets out a wail.

I glance up at Janice who only shakes her head at her son. "Landon, I told you no, and that is final. You cannot go out with her and disturb the guests," she sternly dictates.

His bottom lip trembles, threatening to flood his eyes again. Without Landon noticing, I sneak a glance at Janice, and I silently mouth, "It's fine." Janice sighs inwardly at my approval and nods.

"Landon," I gain his attention, interrupting his weeping. "Mommy says you can come, but if you fuss you will never be able to come with me again, understand?"

Landon eagerly shakes his head up and down. "Let's go!" he exclaims, and I gently shush him.

I straighten myself and hold his hand as we walk out of the day care center. Once we are safely out of the chaotic room, I shut the door silently, and Landon accompanies me on my rounds. First, we check up on the few maids that we spot around the halls. Because of Landon's request, I bring him to the kitchen next. Excitedly, he waddles over to the head chef and best friend. Chad's hands wrap around the toddler in shock as the little tike's head hits the man's legs.

"Landon! What are you doing here?" Chad asks while tapping Landon's nose with his index finger.

Landon grins ear to ear as he answers proudly, "Iv said I could come with her!"

I faintly smile at his shortened version of my name, and Chad responds, feigning hurt, "Really? She never lets me come."

"You have to cook silly," he says with a giggle.

"I guess you're right because somebody keeps eating all my icecream," he accuses and Landon laughs merrily.

"I get hungry," Landon indifferently shrugs it off with a cheesy grin.

"Where are you off to next?" Chad inquires, poking the boy's belly playfully.

"Iv did-ed not told me!" Landon complains, adding dramatic effect by throwing his arms in the air.