Chapter Twenty

Ivory

The blissful chime of the bronze bell greets me when I pull the front door open. I wear a content smile along with my black apron around my waist. A few regulars are here, but mostly, the cafe is vacant. I laugh heartily as Helga rushes to envelope me in a bear hug. Another day at Sal's.

Before I can even manage to rid myself of my heavy coat, I am bombarded by my coworker. "Come on over here and tell me all that's happened," Helga instructs as she leads me to a stool. I am reminded of my middle school days when everyone begged to hear the juiciest gossip. Her greying hair is gathered in a hair band, her eyes seem to have a few more laughter lines, and her smile is broader than ever, showcasing her jubilation. It seems as if her glee is contagious because soon I am grinning just as joyously. "I haven't seen you in ages! This darn wedding has you buried up to your nose in work!" Helga accuses. "How are you? Geez! I feel like a stranger!" she exclaims. Her exaggerated sigh that she adds is all that it takes for me to erupt with amused giggles.

"I'm fine, Helga, just as I was the last time we talked. A few things here and there happened, but I rather not speak of it. The wedding is sooner than ever, and... Oh my gosh! I forgot to add you to the list! No wonder you haven't received an invitation! I promise that one will be sent out immediately! I am so sorry!" I fumble with an apology. With all the hectic activities taking place, Helga completely slipped my mind. Boy, do I feel dumb!

"Sweetie, it's alright. Don't get yourself worked up over it. I'm sure y'all have been awfully busy. Speaking of y'all, how's hunky Hunter?" Helga jokes. "I'm sure you two are closer than ever, if ya' know what I mean," she suggestively comments with a childish grin. My scarlet blush only confirms her assumptions. "You didn't!" Helga gasps with excitement. "Ivory, you sly dog! It's okay, I won't press you for the details, but I'm sure you remember every one," she assumes before leaving me stunned and alone. Quickly, I trail after her into the kitchen. Although her statement is correct, I can't have her thinking so.

"Helga!" I chide, not believing the audacity she has. She's old enough to be my mother, yet sometimes, I feel like the adult here. Without another word about my affair, excluding another leer smirk, Helga returns to her work. I shake my head while snatching my pad and pen. Humming faintly to myself, I wait for the customers to pour in just like every morning. The quaint diner reminds me of the one my mother would take me to when I was younger. It was straight across from a park, so she'd treat me to a late breakfast and then a few pushes on the swings. The family-fun restaurant served the best pancakes in the world! Even if we would get a booth at six o'clock in the evening, I would always order their maple syrup pancakes. My mouth waters now just thinking about them. Determined to recreate them, I march to the kitchen.

"Little miss Ivory, what are you doing in my kitchen?" Sal's chef, Leon, questions when I enter. His thick, New Orleans accent heavily coats his words, reminding me of the weekend I spent in Louisiana for a business meeting.

"I want you to help me make something," I announce as I proudly beam. Leon quirks an eyebrow at my proclamation. Everyone knows I am not the best cook, which is probably the reason Leon is staring at me like I have three heads.

"Honey, are you sure that's such a good idea? Let me remind you of the last time you tried to cook," he gently warns. I grimace at the thought. My last shenanigan didn't end well. I was washing flour out of my hair for weeks. My face brightens when a light bulb appears in my mind.

"Let me rephrase that," I try again, "I want you to make me something." This time, he laughs at my proposal.

"That sounds more like it," he quips merrily. It seems as if today everyone woke on the right side of the bed. That's a good thing too because I can hardly stand idiots these days. Not overly busy by the orders of paying customers, Leon happily accepts my request. "What do you want me to make you doll?"