Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

"My god, that smells heavenly." Dania moaned.

Remi just smiled with the pride of a professional chef as he simmered slabs of beef in garlic, thyme, and other rich seasonings that filled the house with a warm, exotic scent. Even Alaric was licking his lips as he hovered near the stove while Raven made homemade popcorn in a pot with butter and salt while Dania was carrying popcorn seasonings toward the living room.

I was putting together a Greek style pizza, trying to focus on the movie night, more than what had happened earlier when I had called Blaine. My heart still ached for Ambrosius. I wanted to make him happy. No one else was willing to do it. I felt like there was a reason behind Blaine not wanting to help, but I was still disturbed by his advice to give up and didn't want to speak to him. Not that I could if I wanted to, because after trying to call him back four more times, I'd come to the conclusion that he'd destroyed his cell phone in order to keep me from contacting him. And I didn't want to start anything by contacting Cerberus about it, so I was on my own now.

But that was fine.

Ambrosius didn't them to be happy. My family and I could do that on our own.

For all the flaws my family had, there was one thing we put above all else and that was each other. A tight knit family that I wouldn't trade for the world. Even Remi was part of that family. To me, there were two types of family. Those you were born to and those you chose. He was just as dysfunctional and strange as the rest of my family, so he fit in perfectly. Watching him make snarky jokes with Dania and complain about work with Alaric and Raven, you would never guess he was from a completely different pantheon.

I took the pizza and a box of beer into the living room, setting things up while Dania got her space all comfortable. She'd dragged down all her blankets and pillows, creating a next right smack dab in the middle, leaned up against the coffee table. She'd even rearranged the blankets to make a popcorn bowl holder and a holder for her beer. I set the box down and she leapt to her feet, tearing the box open and taking out a bottle, hoisting it up to the sky.

"This is gonna be a great night," She declared, then used her teeth to snap the bottle cap off, making me grimace before she took a swig and sighed in relief, then paused to look around the room, "Where's your boyfriend?"

"He's upstairs sleeping. I should probably go wake him up." I said, setting the pizza down. Dania licked her lips eagerly, picking up a slice and watching the cheese stretch and snap before she took a bite.

"Good," She said with a mouthful of pizza, "We'll show him how to party devil spawn style." I smiled at that, then left the living room and went upstairs to Ambrosius's bedroom. I remembered that he was a heavy sleeper and just walked right into the room. Sure enough, he was fast asleep and hadn't woken up upon my entrance. He was laying on his side, arm under his pillow, other resting across his waist, legs tangled in his blankets.

My body instantly reacted to him, and as I drew nearer, his scent warmed me to the core. I swallowed hard, walking over and sitting on the bed beside him. I touched his shoulder and gave him a small shake. He didn't respond, just flopped onto his back and sighed in his sleep. I smirked, then leaned forward, capturing his lips. He moaned, shifting on the bed and fisting the sheets before his eyes opened sleepily. He blinked a few times, then made a muffled sound of protest before I pulled back with a wicked grin.

"Movie night." I stated. Ambrosius blushed furiously, sitting upright and touching his lips before scowling.

"Can't you wake me up like a normal person?"

"I did. That's how normal people kiss the person they love." I answered. Ambrosius hesitated at that, but I didn't want to stick around for a long stretch of silence, so I got up and held my hand out to him in invitation. He reached for it and I pulled him off the bed before leading him out of the room, and the entire time, I felt his eyes on me. I wasn't sure what he felt, but I just knew the intensity of his eyes burning in my back.