Chapter Six

Chapter Six

As if lunch with just Ambrosius and I wasn't going to be awkward enough, I now found myself sitting at a table with Dania, Raven, Dev, and Anza as well. I had tried to invite Remi, but his fear of Dania kept him locked tight in my ring and it would heat every so often if someone said something that pissed him off. I was tempted to take it off, but it would be too dangerous, especially if Anza got a hold of it.

Whoever held the ring held Remi.

And I knew well enough that no one would be as kind to Remi.

What made the meal awkward was the amount of talking Dania did and occasional unnecessary commentary from Anza. Even worse was watching Dev tease Raven, who didn't seem to understand that the sin was flirting with him. I felt sorry for Raven. Him and his poor oblivious personality.

"It tastes really good like this," Dev insisted, holding out a piece of chicken that he'd soaked in the alfredo sauce, "Really!" He was holding it out towards Raven's lips. Raven grimaced at it and opened his mouth to say no, but Dev took his chance and shoved the chicken into his mouth... along with two of his fingers that he slid out of Raven's mouth. Raven was too busy making faces and fumbling to keep the chicken in his mouth to notice Dev had stuck his two fingers in his own mouth and closed his eyes like he was getting some sort of high out of it. I clenched my fist, resisting the urge to throw my knife at him.

He obviously had no self-preservation, otherwise, he wouldn't be doing that in front of me. It was just natural instinct to not want someone flirting with my siblings. Raven and Dania were both adults, and I knew that very well, but it didn't matter how old they were. They were still my little siblings. They were still the tiny kids that ran after me or hid in my closet to jump out and scare me wearing silly monster costumes.

I remembered this time that I had been on patrol, back when I still worked in Lucifer's palace, and Raven had been only six and he ran to me crying because he'd gotten locked in the bathroom. It explained why he didn't close his doors anymore. He wanted to be able to escape in case something bad happened.

Or the time that Dania was four and cut her hand open trying to steal a jar of raspberry jam and she'd burst into tears and I happened to walk in. Despite Dania's wild personality, she got a bit sick at the sight of her own blood, even if she got a paper cut. Knowing she was just as vulnerable as the people she attacked scared her, though, she'd never say it out loud.

I didn't really like the idea of someone getting close to my siblings.

Especially Dev.

He was Lust personified. He was probably just trying to get into Raven's pants, then run away and leave Raven alone and confused. Raven had never been very good with understanding emotions and if his heart were to get broken, it would be quite a blow to an ego he fought hard to keep above sea level.

"Thorn?" I snapped out of my thoughts to see everyone staring at me.

"What?" I asked. Dania snorted and Anza shook her head. Raven frowned, confused while Dev arched a brow.

"We were asking you if you made dessert!" Dania exclaimed incredulously.

"Is food all you think about? Don't you have a figure to keep?" Anza mocked. Dania pierced her with a menacing glare that promised Anza would lose one of her limbs if she didn't cease her mockery, but thankfully, Raven came to the rescue.

"Guys, cut it out, especially you, Anza," He warned her, "Insult my sister again and we're going to have problems." Anza curled her lip, but said nothing and just cast Dania a last disdainful glare that Dania responded to by holding up both her middle fingers. Ambrosius was completely silent. He just kept watching everyone, like he wasn't sure what was going on. It was a confusion that told me Ambrosius had never sat down to eat with people before.